Low OG = high FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

kmonty

Reaction score
just brewed a batch of Brown Porter. I put too much liquid in the brew pot resulting in a lower OG of 1.045 (1.051 was the target)
After holding the temp at 67 for two weeks, the next gravity was 1.018. A week later, 1.016. (1.014 was the target)

My question is: if my OG gravity is low, will that mean there aren't enough fermentables to reach to target FG?
Just curious.

Thanks in advance!

budchx

Reaction score
Actually to be sure the fermentation is done you have to take the FG to days in a row and have the same reading,if it's different that means that fermentation is still going on.

OP
kmonty

kmonty

Reaction score
Guess i'll take another reading tomorrow then and see if it's the same...

Thanks!

pericles

Reaction score
OG and FG are directly related, but only loosely. Here's what I mean:

Beer wort is made up of fermentable sugars and non-fermentable compounds. Normally, when you brew a recipe, the ratio of fermentable sugars to non-fermentable compounds remains pretty constant. That means that a low OG will result in a low FG too, because there's less stuff in the beer overall.

The reason I say that FG is only loosely related to OG is because there are a lot of styles for which you can artificially pump FG up with additives. My Belgian Golden Strong, for instance, routinely finishes at 1.000, but starts at 1.070. That's a pretty high OG and a VERY low FG. You can do the opposite, too, by adding lactose or matodextrine malt to a session beer, in order to create a low alcohol beer with lots of mouthfeel - that would result in a low OG with a high FG.

In your case, I think fermentation just hasn't finished, though. I'd let it keep going, maybe boost the temperature a degree or too, and rouse the fermenter.

OP
kmonty

kmonty

Reaction score
Thanks for the thorough answer! That makes a bit more sense to me - specifically the relationship to OG to FG regarding the fermentables and non-fermentables.

I have boosted the temp from 67 to 70 the past couple days, so I will indeed give it some more time to finish out. I used London Ale 1028 and it is supposed to attenuate in the mid-70's so I am hoping it keeps going. (now it's in the mid-60's)