Low OG hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty2

Reaction score
Did a hybrid BIAB step mash hefe yesterday. Used 11.5 lbs grain(7lbs wheat/4.5lbs pils) for a 5 gal batch. Steps were: mash in at 95, 111 for 10, 117 for 10, 122 for 10, 145 for 10, 158 for 10 and mash out at 170 for 10. Boil for 90. OG supposed to be 1053 as per beersmith. I wound up at 1042. Looking for suggestions as to what may have gone wrong. Tha JS.

I haven't done any step infusions, but 2 questions:
1-How good was your crush?
2-How did you sparge or atleast rinse your grains off after mashing?

I have a lower than expected OG on my Raspberry Wheat, but it attenuated below what I was expecting for a FG and after 2 weeks in the keg, AMAZING !!

I tried to do a BIAB and didn't get enough of the good stuff out, even a batch sparge or soaking in different pot with that sparge water could've gotten more of the sweet stuff out. Get a Mash Tun and never look back.

A friend of mine brought up a point about sacch rest. Since I only spent 10 minutes at 158, I may not have converted enough. All my volumes were as per beersmith and they all came out dead on. I didn't sparge. I used RIMS with a converted keggle, if that info is useful at all.

image-535739882.jpg

This is the beersmith file

Did you do an Iodine check for starch conversion? According to that recipe doesn't seem you followed it just right, plus looks like you started your step way too cold. My last batch of Honey and Vanilla Wheat, I had at 152* for 72 min then mashed out, I actually went above my target OG, but I also sparged better than last time too.

When you are looking at temps, are you just taking a reading on your water, or do you also check the temp of the actual grain bed. I've learned to make sure that thermometer is way in that grain bed to make sure all temps are nice and even.

Well hopefully the beer still attenuates fully and everything comes out good, you could still have a great finishing beer. Good Luck !

Oceantendency said:
Did you do an Iodine check for starch conversion? According to that recipe doesn't seem you followed it just right, plus looks like you started your step way too cold. My last batch of Honey and Vanilla Wheat, I had at 152* for 72 min then mashed out, I actually went above my target OG, but I also sparged better than last time too.

When you are looking at temps, are you just taking a reading on your water, or do you also check the temp of the actual grain bed. I've learned to make sure that thermometer is way in that grain bed to make sure all temps are nice and even.

Well hopefully the beer still attenuates fully and everything comes out good, you could still have a great finishing beer. Good Luck !

That wasn't my mash schedule, sorry. Mash schedule was in my initial post. I use a RIMS system, temp is controlled by a PID. Seems that conversion was the issue, nowhere near enough time at sacch temp. No iodine, I'll pick some up.

Back