LOW OG always off 10 points HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaybird789

Reaction score
I have a 10 gal Igloo system and have attempted to make 5 batches. I NEVER hit my OG after I fly sparge. My first runnings are typically spot on, they I sparge and my gravity is consistently 10 points off! My water calculations are set for my Beersmith equipment profile and my strike temp is always spot on.

I run my grains twice through the local homebrew shop (making sure to not turn it into flour). I never get stuck sarges, I make sure to stir my grains real good to avoid dough balls and pockets. This is so frustrating.

Beersmith defaults water to grain ratio at 1. I'm going to try 1.3 this time to at least get more volume of higher gravity wort.

I sparge for 30 to 45 mins at 170. Am I a klutz or is there some wisdom out there that can get me on the right track? I use PH stabilizer to get my strike water at target PH as well.

I'm so frustrated, I want to give up. Any help is welcome.
Thanks,

This may be an obvious one to you but I didn't know this until a few days ago.
I kept thinking I was getting low og but I was measuring the gravity with hot wort. This throws the measurement off cause hot liquid is less dense than cooler liquid.

Your hydrometer is calibrated at 60 degrees (most likely) so use the hydrometer correction tool in beer Smith.

If you already know this then ignore me :)

No, thank you, much appreciated. I failed to mention I have a refractometer:( It measures pre frerented OG and you leave it on the window for 30 seconds and it cools to room temp. THANKS!

I'd change up the settings a bit. I'd mash with 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain, and make sure all the settings (boil volume, boil off, etc) were correct.

And since you're always off from the OG, maybe simply adjusting your efficiency in Beersmith would totally fix the issue?

When you mention "adjust efficiency" do you mean make it lower? (I'm at 75 %. That would add more grain and water correct? Or just more grain? Thanks! I keep hearing that higher water to grain ratios will lead to PH issues? Much appreciated.

When you mention "adjust efficiency" do you mean make it lower? (I'm at 75 %. That would add more grain and water correct? Or just more grain? Thanks! I keep hearing that higher water to grain ratios will lead to PH issues? Much appreciated.

I just meant to put your efficiency to the correct % of what you are getting. It seems that if you are always low, your setting ins incorrect.

You won't have pH issues with a slightly higher water volume, if your pH is fine at 1.25 quarts/pound.

You need to see if you are consistently hitting a certain efficiency level. If your recipes are written for 75% efficiency but you're consistently hitting 70% that's a good thing. At least you're consistent and can plan around it.

Back