Low O.G. Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBurg

Reaction score
My original gravity measured with a hydrometer is usually .010 or .015 lower than the given kit recipe. For example my latest black IBA stated an OG of 1.065 and my reading was 1.056 at 70 degrees. Temp correction made it 1.057 still well below the specified 1.065. I also strained the wort into the fermenter to get as much as possible out of the kettle. The volume in the fermenter was 5 gallons. OG measurement was taken before adding yeast. This happens with most of my kit batches after following the recipe exactly to the letter.

Anybody know what gives?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I will assume you are doing partial boils and topping off with water to hit your final volumes?

If yes, the low OG is most likely related to poor mixing of your concentrated wort with the top off water resulting in a lower gravity reading. When using extract, as long as your volumes are correct, it is very difficult to be that far off with your OG since the sugar is already extracted into your LME/DME.

If you are partial mashing or doing all grain, the answer would likely be in your process. We would need some more info about how your mashing (equipment, temps, times, pH, etc) to help there.

It's a partial boil- sounds like I need to cap the carboy and shake it up instead of rocking it. I'll try that with my batch today. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I agree with the idea of the wort not mixing. It's harder to get a good mix than people think.

When you shake the carboy, be careful. Slippery when wet.

Thanks for this thread, OP :) I just started primary on this extract recipe and went the route of a 3-gallon boil with a 2-gallon top-off from chilled, filtered water to bring the temp down for pitching. My OG came in at .17 under the recipe. I gave it a good amount of shaking but I guess not enough. :mug:

Back