Low/no carbonation in cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jchamb

Reaction score
Hey all, I brewed my first 5 gallon batch of cider using a premade kit. I put in the sugar carb pills in each bottle and have let it sit for a week before trying it. There was only a small pop when I opened the bottle and few bubbles coming up, no carbonation in the cider. Does it normally take all of the 2-3 weeks for cider to carbonate?

1 week is not long enough for bottle carbing. What temperature are the bottles being stored at?

Gotcha, it’s 68 degrees currently.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
I agree that 1 week isn't long enough. Did you use a bottling wand when you bottled? I ask because some of those longnecks in the picture dont appear to be filled all the way. It could very well just be the picture but if they aren't filled properly they won't carbonate. Cheers!

About the bottling...we were pretty inconsistent and Didn’t know the exact place to fill to!

About the bottling...we were pretty inconsistent and Didn’t know the exact place to fill to!

If you're using a bottling wand, fill it all the way to the very brim. When you pull the wand out of the full bottle the volume will drop to the proper (and consistent) level. Live and learn! Better get another batch going soon so you can practice bottling ;) Cheers!

Back