Low Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgrim001

Reaction score
I'm on day 4 of my second batch and for some reason there was only a low krausen (maybe 2 inches thick) which is already thinning out. My first batch was bubbling all the way to the top of my 6 gallon carboy. I could see the yeast actively "moving around" but still only the small amount of foam on top. Why could this be?

Every fermentation will be different. Pitching temps, fermentation temps, etc.. all play a role. No worries.

Fermentation is weird. Like, black magic x-files hoodoo weird. Nobody really understands it. Biologists claim to, but they're lying to you.

Also, foam is weird.

Every batch you brew will look different. Enjoy it; it's beautiful. :D

i don't really worry about the krausen...In my last two batches, i've been using notty. The folks here told me its a very vigorous yeast but on the first batch that I used notty, i totally missed the krausen and i never got any bubbles. Nevertheless, it fully fermented out. On my current batch, it looks to be the same. I never see the krausen, but last night i saw bubbling. This morning the bubbling is gone, but i'm confident after 4 weeks this bad boy will be fully fermented out.

Back