low gravity reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulasaurus

Reaction score
Just finished brewing a belgian wit extract kit from Midwest and ended up with a 1.037 starting gravity when it should have been 1.042-1.046.

I did a late extract addition so I added 2lbs lme at 60min and the remaining 4lbs at flameout. Not sure if that has anything to do with the off reading. Temp when taking the reading was at 80 degrees so I adjusted my reading of 1.035 and got 1.037 according to the chart that came with my hydrometer.

I also adjusted my bittering hops(3/4oz. instead of 1oz.) based off calculations from ajf/yooperbrew.

Does anyone have an idea as to why it came in low?

kit-http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=3502

Thanks all

Does anyone have an idea as to why it came in low?

Because original gravity readings are inconsistent at best. You need to make sure the wort is thoroughly and evenly mixed to get an exact reading. I personally have quit taking OG altogether. I take a gravity reading when I rack to secondary and when I bottle, both of which are exactly the same. Other than that I really don't care about the gravity. I generally calculate what my OG should be and I'm sure it's within a point or two of the actual gravity. I'm not encouraging anyone to skip the OG reading, I'm just saying that's what works for me.

What is your batch size? 5 or 6 gals? Did you use liquid or Dry malt extract. Your OG is right on for a 6 gal batch using liquid.

Hmmm good point about batch size. It ended up being a little over 5 gallons(5 gallon batch) in the bucket where I took the reading. So would a half gallon over 5 be enough to throw off my reading then?

The kit used 6lbs lme.

Thanks for the help. Sounds like there are many variables that would go into my numbers being low. Guess I was spoiled with my last batch where the reading was dead on. Oh well it was bubbling up a storm this morning, hope I don't regret not putting a blowoff tube on:eek:

Hmmm good point about batch size. It ended up being a little over 5 gallons(5 gallon batch) in the bucket where I took the reading. So would a half gallon over 5 be enough to throw off my reading then?

The kit used 6lbs lme.

Thanks for the help. Sounds like there are many variables that would go into my numbers being low. Guess I was spoiled with my last batch where the reading was dead on. Oh well it was bubbling up a storm this morning, hope I don't regret not putting a blowoff tube on:eek:

Usually liquid malt comes in 3.3 lbs cans. So was it really 6.0 lbs of malt or was it 6.6? Your reading is still a little low for a half gallon of water with 6.6 lbs of malt. Did you stir it well before you took your reading?

The lme came in a 6lb jug and yes I stirred it up quite well being as I had to ad 2 gallons of water to the wort. I guess i'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

I assume if anything it'll just have a lower abv or could there possibly be any off flavors associated?

Thanks for the input

Back