Low Gravity at Racking to Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holjim

Reaction score
I'm just about to rack a Sierra Neveda IPA clone to secondary and while my OG was within the expected range (1.051) my gravity now (after 11 days in primary) is at the low end of the expected FG (1.012).

My two questions are:

1) Should I be concerned?

2) I often hear about folks who have high numbers...what can account for low ones?

I must say the sample tasted right on target -- minus carbination, etc etc.

I don't suppose the dry hopping that I still have to do will play any role in the FG either right?

This is my second batch -- I have a "Raucus Red" aging right now and I must say that I'm waaay more excited about this one (the Sierra clone not the Red).

Thanks in advance!

Jim

sound normal to me, 1.012 is perfect. Sounds like your yeast was happy, all signs point to good beer.

If you had ended at 1.008 or something then that might be a little concerning, the beer might be a little dry without the extra unconverted sugar. The dry hopping won't really change anything in the FG, they will absorb a little beer but that is about it.

Thanks for the reassurances. I guess the only reason I was a little concerned was the recipe was looking for a 1.019 at racking and I'm already below that (although that also assumed only 3-4 days in primary and 4-5 days in secondary).

Ok, I'm relaxed now! :)

Thanks again!

Jim

Back