Low fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjm13

Reaction score
I bought a house (aka project) in August. Lets just say the insulation is not top notch, and as previously mentioned, it's really cold in NE right now. I brewed a stout the weekend before last, and after a week in the primary, I moved it to another spot in the house to make room for another beer. After a few days I checked on it, and it was 58 degrees. It was probably at that temp for around 5 days or so. I've moved it again, and it's back around 62 degrees.
Will this low temp have a detrimental effect on the stout? I used BRY-97 from Danastar for the yeast.
thanks.

Your stout is ok. The yeast may have went dormant. I'd use a sanitized spoon and very gently stir the beer to suspend any yeast that may have dropped out.

Yeast really don't like fluctuating temps. Going from cold to warm is okay as fermentation proceeds, going from warm to cold simply shocks the yeast and may cause them to go dormant until they warm up again.

Things like this make it difficult to follow your fermentation progress. I would check the gravity to see if it's finished. If it has then the temp really won't matter at this point. If it is not done then try and keep it warmer so it finishes. If you drop it back down again it will simply go dormant again.

The stout came out great! Nice rosty coffe notes with a hint of sweetness. silky mouthfeel with the large % of oatmeal in the mash. I used brown sugar to carb. I guess a few days a low temp didn't hurt.

Afraid I may not be so lucky with my too warm ferment going on now...

Back