Low efficiency/OG...what to expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablotastic

Reaction score
When you miss your OG by 10points or so...1.044 vs 1.054 what can you expect

I'm assuming that the alchohol content would obviously suffer and the beer may seem lighter but how much of that can you actaully pick up?

The Brown ale I did still looks dark as hell and I don't think I've seen the yeast (nottingham) this vigorous in some time.

Is the taste going to suffer much?

Heck no it won't suffer! Especially with Nottingham, you'll get a high-attenuating, dry beer. If you were using a different strain such as an English variety that leaves residual sweetness i would think it would be farther off from the original.

I got 68% efficiency on my first AG and am pretty sure it will taste good (still in primary).

RDWHAHB

The only effect I can think of is that it may be a bit more hoppy than you planned. What I mean is, say it was a 1.054 brown ale with IBUs of 26.5. If your efficiency was poor, you might have a 1.044 brown ale with IBUs of 30. That's not even a noticeable difference, but it might be more noticeable in a bigger beer.

Otherwise, aside from a slightly lower ABV, I don't see any problem at all with a lower SG beer.

Back