Low Efficiency/Not fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichH

Reaction score
Need some help or opinions.
I brewed the MoreBeer all grain Pliney the Elder Kit over the weekend and from my calculations I came out with a 32% efficiency. Probably due to the water I added to top off the fermenter. Lesson learned there. I did a yeast starter with a pack of Wyeast 1056, 4 cups of water and a cup of DME, on the stir plate for about 48 hours. I pitched the yeast with a wort temp of 72 degrees on Sunday and now it's Thursday and there is no sign of fermentation.

Should I repitch a couple more packs of 1056 or another 1 liter starter to get this thing fermenting? or is this batch dead due to the low efficiency?

How did you end up with that low efficiency? If it was a kit it should be higher, how did the crush look? Are you sure you mixed your top off water really well? And did you take a gravity reading and not just assume that it's not fermenting? What was your OG?

Back