Low-cost 10 gallon upgrade ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
I don't get to brew as often as I'd like, so I'm looking to upgrade to a 10-gallon system from my 5-gallon setup.

Of course, the key players are:

• The Boil Kettle/HLT
  • The Mash Tun
  • The Fermenter
The BK is easy enough to upgrade - buy a bigger pot. I brew propane so heat's not an issue. I still have the hole saw from installing the ball valve, so I can just move the ball valve over in a couple minutes.

My current MLT is a 10-gallon cooler, so I can get by with thick mashes and 3-batch sparges, at least to start, until 3 20-gallon sankes and an angle grinder fall into my lap.

However, the fermenter is what's throwing me. Better bottles and ale pails don't come that big, so the only other option seems to be glass carboys and plastic conicals, which are both pretty pricey.

Anyone know of an affordable alternative for a 10-gallon fermenter that doesn't require a constant Craigslist vigil to acquire? Or should I just save the coin and build an honest to god brew rig?

I went to a scrap yard and found old pool filters, I also called some pool repair companies and traded some for beer.

Converting them is a bit of work because the paint needs to be stripped but for free pots it was worth it.

These are 30 gallon but they come in 20 also which is good for 10-15 gallon batches.

IMG_6092.jpg

The fermenters have corny keg tops welded on...

Foamy2.jpg

Splitting the batch is the most cost effective way. It's what I do now. It gets even easier using dry yeast: one packet per bucket/carboy. DONE.

Split batch sorta defeats the purpose... I'd like to be able to use a smaller footprint so I can fit more than 15 gallons of beer in my chest freezer at a time... Or I suppose I could buy another freezer.

A sanke keg works great for fermenting 10 gallon batches. If you don't want to watch Craigslist, call some breweries - they will sometimes have decommissioned kegs around to sell.

Split batch sorta defeats the purpose... I'd like to be able to use a smaller footprint so I can fit more than 15 gallons of beer in my chest freezer at a time... Or I suppose I could buy another freezer.

In your OP it said you didn't get to brew as often so you wanted to do 10 gallon batches, thats probably why you immediately got the "split" answers. I feel like a lot of people Like to split it up so they can try different yeasts.

Check out Vittle Vaults for fermenting

I went to a scrap yard and found old pool filters, I also called some pool repair companies and traded some for beer.

Converting them is a bit of work because the paint needs to be stripped but for free pots it was worth it.

These are 30 gallon but they come in 20 also which is good for 10-15 gallon batches.

How much did you spend for these?

In your OP it said you didn't get to brew as often so you wanted to do 10 gallon batches, thats probably why you immediately got the "split" answers. I feel like a lot of people Like to split it up so they can try different yeasts.

Check out Vittle Vaults for fermenting

Amen. I just bought one from Amazon yesterday, should arrive tomorrow. $38 shipped!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DJOOI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The 50 pound one is 13 gallons. They are FDA approved. Searching on HBT turns up others who have used these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back