Low carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmuman703

Reaction score
Hey all!

Just brewed my first homebrew (a Bavarian hefe) and I am having low carbonation in the bottle. It is mildly carbonated but it has no head and not the carbonation you would expect from a wheat beer. It has sat now in the bottles for 2 and a half weeks. When I drink it I usually take a few bottles and throw them in the freezer to chill me down and once they are ice cold I drink them. Does anyone have any guidance for future beers? Or is there a way to get a little more carbonation from the ones I already have?

I heard a rumor that you need to let them sit in the fridge for a week to ensure the co2 gets into the liquid. Any truth to this?

Please help!

Thanks!

The biggest thing is, that at 2.5 weeks, they may simply not be carbed yet......beers on average take 3 weeks when at 70 or above. If your beers not carbed yet, putting it in the cold won't help it yet, it will retard the carb process. Wait til after three weeks, chill a couple overnight (if you have them in 2 boxes grab one from each) chill them overnight, taste them, if they're BOTH fully carbed and to your liking,THEN grab some and chill for a week...but if they're not carbed yet, OR only one is, then they're not there yet.

Hmm that could be my problem then. It hasn't been three weeks and I have the beer stored in my basement and it tends to be a constant 68 degrees so slightly colder than the "70 or above." maybe I should give it a week in a warmer area?

Ok thanks for the help! That is what I am going to do then. I will give the beer a little bit more time in a slightly warmer area of the house.

The one ingredient that they can't put in a starter kit is patience.

Patience is the answer to a lot of questions get asked on here.

Haha I know. I am excited since this is my first homebrew. The guide said two weeks in the bottles but I suppose it will continue to carbonate over time. I am gunna put them in a warmer area and give them some more time. With all luck I may have a more carbonated beer by christmas!

Back