Low carb (not low cal) recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YeastHerder

Reaction score
From my search, I'm settling in on something that will be much like a SMaSH. Here is my tentative plan:

X lbs US 2 row mashed at 149-150F for 75 mins
Y oz Cascade at 60 mins (2/3 IBUs here)
rest of Cascade IBUs spread evenly between 15 mins, 5 mins, 2 mins
total IBUs would be kept relatively low such that the IBU/OG would be ~0.4

Pitch with .... and this is where I'm very undecided. I want it to have very little carbs left, so initially thought about using a champagne yeast, but then again, that might just taste horrible. I'm currently leaning towards a belgian yeast because they finish pretty low, but also add some interesting fruity/plum notes to let you know you are indeed drinking an ale. Other suggestions?

Also, not certain about whether to add crushed beano as is suggested in some threads. Anybody done this? What did it wind up tasting like?

Last, I'm going with a SMaSH setup because much as I'd like to throw some character malt in there like victory or crystal 60, I'm guessing that is just going to bump the non-fermentable carbs through the roof defeating the whole purpose. Would beano chop those back down and if so, for the crystal malts, would the beano destroy the caramel flavor along with the dextrins? My hunch is yes, but I've not tried it so... anyone have experience with that?

In case you're wondering, yes this is aimed at fulfilling a SWMBO request..

Thanks for reading!

Back