Low alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More than likely your original gravity reading was inaccurate. We need more information before we can help you determine potential reasons.
If you could provide some more information we might be able to help.
What was the recipe or kit?
What was the volume of the recipe?
What was your actual volume in the fermenter?
What was your gravity readings? (Before and after fermentation and remember temprature of the wort/beer affects the gravity reading)

This brings up a valid point. I know really all beer differ but is an expectable range between 4-6%? I was reading the new joy of homebrewing and they made it sound like 3% was really all the higher you were gonna get or want for that matter.

This brings up a valid point. I know really all beer differ but is an expectable range between 4-6%? I was reading the new joy of homebrewing and they made it sound like 3% was really all the higher you were gonna get or want for that matter.

Not sure what you are trying to say here. If you are saying that it is only possible to brew beers in the 3% range, then you need to do a little more research. I recommend How to Brew. Brewing beers of much higher alcohol percentages is fully within the realm of homebrewing.

Depends on what you want. Do you want a cheap, high ABV buzz, or are you looking for a beer that is full flavored and so well blended that you don't notice the alcohol? Something that you can drink 12oz of and be done for the night? Or do you want a low alcohol beer that you can drink all day long on a hot summer's day. Either way, it can be brewed.

You can home brew beer to the same alcohol content as any commercial beer.

ok, just to let you know i'm a beginner. i have brewed like 7 batches of beer so far and the beer i currently have in my primary is at 6% after 6 days, so it's not even done yet. i'm thinking i will end up 6 1/2% to 7%. you prolly didnt have enough malt in it or something. was it a kit? maybe you took it out of the fermenter before it was done? I like to keep it in primary for at least 14 days.

that's just not true. Don't let them nerf your beer! :mug:
DOWN WITH THE MAN!

extract kit
og was 1.062
fg was 1.012
five gallon batch
wort was 75 F before I added the wlp #500 straight from vial.
this was my first batch so I did not know anything about starters then.
og temp was about 75 and fg reading was taken at 72 F.

That helps. What type of beer was it? Did your kit have a listed OG?

Looks like your beer as listed is about 6.7% ABV, which could be fine depending on the style.

To the original poster...do you know how to calculate your alcohol? Because you cannot simply drop the hydrometer in there and read the alcohol percentage off it (some hydro's have a scale for this, but that's not how its used).

Here's a handy calculator you can use: http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv.php

Back