Low Alcohol Volume?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WriterWriter

Reaction score
A friend and I brewed up a Cooper's Lager mix 7 days ago. He kept in in the basement in an area he figured was around 70 degrees but concedes it might have been a little colder than that.

Today, over the phone, he read me the hydrometer reading and I did the calcs. I thought the alcohol content was unusually low. The OG was 1.04 and today's reading was 1.025. So that worked out to a 3.4% brew.

We did measure the dextrose properly, but there's always the possibility that I made a mistake measuring the OG. I thought I saw 1.04 but this was my first time using a hydrometer. Perhaps the beer isn't done fermenting yet. OR, is this what Cooper's lager generally works out to be?

70 degrees seems awfully hot for a lager beer (I usually keep my ales cooler than that), but that wouldn't affect attenuation.

At 1.025 it's not done yet. 1.010 is a more realistic finishing gravity if you treat the beer well, 1.015 if you don't.

Back