Low Alcohol Content?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOLMAN

Reaction score
Just bottled my first batch, but when I took another gravity reading, it was not at all what I was expecting. After doing the math, I came up with a 3.8% ABV. I know the priming sugar creates carbonation, but does it also give the beer more alcohol content?

What is it? What is the recipe, and do you have any other information? It will be hard for anyone here to say given the info presented.

If you post the recipe along with the OG and FG readings we could help you better. It's possible you bottled too early or it's possible that beer just doesn't have a high alcohol level.

Yes, priming sugar does contribute to alcohol because the yeast ferment it, right? But the amount is negligible. I think 4 oz of priming sugar would add about 0.25% to the ABV.

This is the style:
Belgium Wit - A traditional Belgian coriander and orange peel spiced wheat beer.
As far as the exact recipe goes, I don't have it with me, I hope this info may help a little.
My OG was 1.050, FG was 1.012. I think I did the math correctly, but I'm really not sure.
You guys are awesome for responding so quickly!

Back