Low ABV, will this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seapigzulu

Reaction score
Recently screwed up badly and used the wrong instrument to measure the amount of liquid in my brewpot. Ended up boiling about 7.5 gallons instead of the planned 6. Needless to say, I missed my target gravity by a mile. Ended up with 3.7 abv which is unacceptable in my book.

I pulled out 4 cups of beer and boiled it with 2 lbs of LME, cooled it to 75 degress and put it back in.

Airlock is now bubbling away nicely.

Is this going to work? I know it will change the beer from what the original recipe was, but is there any chance I will end up with a drinkable beer at the end?

Thanks for the help.

Yes it will work, sounds like it is working. Making some assumptions with the math, I'd guess you'll end up at about 5% ABV.

3.7%abv is somehow morally unacceptable for you? You probably just ruined a good beer. The best TASTING brews I've made have been around 3.5-4%

If you're just trying to get drunk there are cheaper ways. This is a bit of a waste of effort.

Back