Low ABV beer brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokerloict

Reaction score
Hi,

I used cooper beer can to brew. I would like to know if its possible to brew a low abv beer with this kit by adding less dextrose in fermenter. I target 1%-2%.

Thank

Hi,

I used cooper beer can to brew. I would like to know if its possible to brew a low abv beer with this kit by adding less dextrose in fermenter. I target 1%-2%.

Thank

Check the gravity and adjust with water, but it'll be thinner.

Alternatively for a non-alcoholic beer brew the beer as normal, and after fermentation is complete, bring to 170f for about 45min. You'll have to adjust the hop schedule, or it'll be very bitter.

Oh nice! But if I bring beer to 170 before bottling, I guess I will lose all the hop and spice flavors?

What do mean by adjusting hop schedule? I only have 4 brew a my count

Thank :)

Just heating up a regular beer is gonna taste bad. De-alcolyzing a beer in a way that has minimal impact is not a beginner subject.

You can simply lower the fermentables down. Removing added simple sugar is a good first step. 2.5% is the lowest I've personally gone, but others have gone lower.

Oh cool! And do I need to add a minimum amount or sugar or I can completly remove it to get the lowest %?

If you use only that much extract, it will be very watered down in 5 gallons. But adding sugar won't give it flavor- just boost the alcohol. If you don't add any sugar, in 5 gallons you'd have about 2.5% alcohol with that extract. That's probably what I would do, although I might be inclined to steep a few grains in water first, and bring to a boil and cool and then add the extract just to give it some more flavor.

Oh nice! But if I bring beer to 170 before bottling, I guess I will lose all the hop and spice flavors?

What do mean by adjusting hop schedule? I only have 4 brew a my count

Thank :)

Based on only four brews, I'd recommend doing more research before heading down the non-alcoholic rabbit hole. As noted, it's a bit more complex to manage than a regular brew. (Without adjustments, hops in particular, you will end up with a very bitter beer when you go down the 170F evap approach.)

For my all-grain, non-170F approach, I adjust the initial/original/starting gravity to where I want it to be and ferment from there. Doing so, I can brew 0.5-3% beers that are not overly thin, still taste like beer, and most people don't know it's so low.

My suggestion, as this is new to you, do a much smaller batch than 5gal. I'd recommend 2gal or so to avoid a waste of 5gal should something not go well.

Just heating up a regular beer is gonna taste bad. De-alcolyzing a beer in a way that has minimal impact is not a beginner subject.

You can simply lower the fermentables down. Removing added simple sugar is a good first step. 2.5% is the lowest I've personally gone, but others have gone lower.
Go Spurs

Based on only four brews, I'd recommend doing more research before heading down the non-alcoholic rabbit hole. As noted, it's a bit more complex to manage than a regular brew. (Without adjustments, hops in particular, you will end up with a very bitter beer when you go down the 170F evap approach.)

For my all-grain, non-170F approach, I adjust the initial/original/starting gravity to where I want it to be and ferment from there. Doing so, I can brew 0.5-3% beers that are not overly thin, still taste like beer, and most people don't know it's so low.

My suggestion, as this is new to you, do a much smaller batch than 5gal. I'd recommend 2gal or so to avoid a waste of 5gal should something not go well.
Would you mind sharing a receipt of yours that is so low?

Would you mind sharing a receipt of yours that is so low?

Use any base recipe (sours are best, but I've found browns work okay, too) and adjust water volume to get gravity around 1.016-1.020. Doing that should get you near 1% +/-. It's all about the original gravity!!

I've tried the same concept with a pale ale, but couldn't figure out hops. I'm doing a complete NA pale, but that's completely different.

Never done one that low. For 5 gallons I think I'd steep half a pound of light Crystal (C20 to C40), add extract to get ~1.030 (about 4 lbs of LME, or 3 lbs of DME - use a light extract), and ferment with a low attenuating yeast like Windsor. Should end about 1.010 (2.5% abv). Add some hops to get about 20 IBUs, and a little flavor.

Do not add any simple sugars. That will only increase abv, lower final gravity (less body), and add no flavor.

Back