Love The (Edwort's) Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

solidghost

Reaction score
Done a batch of Edwort's very famous Apfelwein.
Take a look at the photos I have taken:

Ya, all the ingredients, except the yeast.

Sorry about the blurred picture.

Rehydrating the yeast as per instruction.

All in the fermentor!

For more info:
Apfelwein Brew Day

Can't wait till it finishes fermentation.

OP
S

solidghost

Reaction score
But the end result is all that matters! lol!

springer

Reaction score
They don"t sell three or four liter apple juice bottles in Singapore? Damn 50$ for the juice.

I used Members Mark from Sam's 5.26 for two 96 oz bottles but that's here in the states

buyaka

Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of Apfelwein poured in a glass. I have seen tons of pictures and videos of it fermenting, but not a single one of the finished product. I'm gonna have to wait another 2 months to see for myself...

OP
S

solidghost

Reaction score
They do, but most of the bottled ones come with preservatives or additional sugar/colouring/flavouring. In Singapore, it's usually it is about S$2 per litre for the apple juice.

OP
S

solidghost

Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of Apfelwein poured in a glass. I have seen tons of pictures and videos of it fermenting, but not a single one of the finished product. I'm gonna have to wait another 2 months to see for myself...
lol, once mine is done, I will take a picture for ya. :drunk:

OP
S

solidghost

Reaction score
Ya, I don't want it to be too tart. Cinnamon sticks should add a little sweetish flavour to the drink (I hope).

KnightBrewer

Reaction score
I just mixed up my first batch of this and just hope I can wait 2 months to drink it. I am going to start another one next week too

Publix (my local grocery store) had buy one get one free apple juice so I picked up 10 gal of juice for only $28. I'll spend less than $30 to make 10 gal of this nectar!!

Does everyone bottle this or can you keg it too? If so, what carbonation level on it?

OP
S

solidghost

Reaction score
Most females I know like their wines slightly sweet. I think I need to find a way to sweeten this up but not make it taste funky at the same time.

Bosium

Reaction score
Ah those are the best juices! I used to buy them all the time when I lived in Cape Town, practically grew up on them. Ceres and Liquifruit.

Wish I could get em here :(

Reactions: LCE

Bopper

Reaction score
Most females I know like their wines slightly sweet. I think I need to find a way to sweeten this up but not make it taste funky at the same time.
Add a splash of Sprite - That will sweeten it up. You can also use Splenda - it's non-fermentable so you won't have to worry about the yeast having an extra snack.

OP
S

solidghost

Reaction score
Add a splash of Sprite - That will sweeten it up. You can also use Splenda - it's non-fermentable so you won't have to worry about the yeast having an extra snack.
I think using 7up or sprite would work. Good too since the alcohol is rather strong in this cider. Thanks for the suggestion.

OP
S

solidghost

Reaction score
Ah those are the best juices! I used to buy them all the time when I lived in Cape Town, practically grew up on them. Ceres and Liquifruit.

Wish I could get em here :(

I have to agree. But I had drank before Harvey Fresh (Australian brand) and in my opinion, it taste better. More "appley" so to speak. However, both are the best I can find here in Singapore.

OP
S

solidghost

Reaction score
Opened the Apfelwein. 3 weeks in the fermenter.

brewskibob

Reaction score
I'm making an apfelwein with 5 gallons of apple juice, 1 gallon of half pomegranate half white grape juice, and two pounds of corn sugar. I'm using the same wine yeast, but I think that it will be very good.

OP
S

solidghost

Reaction score
For me, I added 1kg of dextrose instead of 1lb of dextrose. It is pretty strong wine I am having now. Thus, I think it will need a little more aging for it to really shine.

Vox

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the sample I just took @ 1 sg befor bottling this coming weekend.

10-997DC487-882175-960.jpg

mdpickle

Reaction score
Hi there,
Just wondering how the cinnamon sticks worked out? How much would you add for the whole batch?

Ive been looking for a apple wine/cider/alcoholic drink and I think I may have found it.

Vox

Reaction score
Hi there,
Just wondering how the cinnamon sticks worked out? How much would you add for the whole batch?

Ive been looking for a apple wine/cider/alcoholic drink and I think I may have found it.
Someone on the main Apfelwein thread has a recent post about using two cinnamon sticks in a five gallon batch. Maybe go from there.