Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, because they're a DTC company and not sold in stores, they have a demo program. For $20 they'll send you a 6i and 9i. I ended up spending another $20 for a utility iron that I want to try out as potentially a driving iron off the tee.

Of course, it's not really "$20" up front, to protect them from people just keeping the clubs. The irons were $120 and the utility was $99.99, but they send the clubs with a prepaid shipping label and when they receive them back, they'll credit me back the excess.

They're going to be releasing a new driver in a couple months... The driver cost is $299, much more reasonable than most these days. And they have a similar demo program (more expensive up front at $220, but then when you send it back they credit you back $200 so the net cost is still the same $20 for a demo).
Interesting. You gotta really want those clubs to go through all that. Is there a reason clubs already in-store aren't your bag?

Interesting. You gotta really want those clubs to go through all that. Is there a reason clubs already in-store aren't your bag?

One reason?

I should be able to get a 4-AW set, plus a utility [driving] iron, plus a 55 and 60 degree wedge, built exactly to my specs (shaft, grip, etc) for a little over $1K all-in. If I looked at Golf Galaxy for, say, TaylorMade P790, just the 4-AW would cost me over $1500... With wedges and a driving iron, I'd be around $2K. So, cost... I'm hoping to have clubs for a decade or more, so obviously I can justify more expensive clubs amortized over that time period... But why pay more if I don't have to?

Second reason?

I've heard great thing about this company, their products, their support, etc. And I get a "try before I buy" period for a pretty low cost to make sure I like the product, for 10 days, can take them to the range and the course as much as I want (and they're very liberal about extending that 10-day demo period). So it's pretty low risk to try them, and potentially much more benefit than spending 30 minutes hitting balls in a hitting bay at a big-box golf store while I'm under the watchful eye of Trevor, who is wondering how he's going to spend his commission check...

Here's a review of the product BTW...

Fair enough. Also, any reason you prefer muscle backs over cavity backs?

Fair enough. Also, any reason you prefer muscle backs over cavity backs?

Actually the 699 Pro is a hollow head "filled with goo" type of iron. It has a muscle back look, but it's not actually MB.

My current irons are cavity back, because that was the "forgiving" design of 20 years ago lol... So I'm trying what I perceive should actually be a more forgiving iron than I currently play.

Actually the 699 Pro is a hollow head "filled with goo" type of iron. It has a muscle back look, but it's not actually MB.

My current irons are cavity back, because that was the "forgiving" design of 20 years ago lol... So I'm trying what I perceive should actually be a more forgiving iron than I currently play.
Nice. Hopefully they'll be what you need!

Played today. I was ok with my ball striking, minus one blocked drive, a sideways iron shot and several thin wedges. The current state of my short game cost me too many shots to count, but I managed to break 90 (barely) from the old mens' tees. 2 birdies, 2 triple bogeys, that kind of day.

The greens at Woodland Hills are not easy, but my putting stroke will have to get a lot better before I can blame the greens.

Perhaps this is too personal, but what color are your balls, golfers?

I greatly prefer yellow or orange as I think they are much easier to see in flight and in the rough. If I buy balls, always yellow. Sadly, most of my balls are white because I live off "found balls", and they are predominantly white. I almost always walk when golfing, and I find a ton.

White balls here. Colored balls seem to distract me and lead to one more thing going through my head at address, which is NOT what I need. I also play a lot of "lost and found" balls, and have for most of my life, so that could very well have something to do with it. About the only time I would prefer a color is overcast skies that seem to mask the white. Even then I hit it and hope my estimate of landing spot is at least somewhat accurate.

My Dad has started playing orange or yellow balls as he gets older and his eyesight is getting to where he can't see white balls very well.

White balls here. When Bubba Watson started making yellow balls popular again I chuckled. I always thought, "Those are what used to be shag Top Flites!" Now they're making ProV1's in freakin yellow and orange. Funny how perceptions change...

White, because that's the only color available in the ball I play.

I've decided that my game is inconsistent enough, that the last variable I want to deal with is playing some random hodge-podge collection of golf balls of unknown history that I've picked up on the course. My swing is inconsistent enough as it is--I want to at least trust that the ball will do the same thing every time, and if it doesn't do what I intend, it's *my* fault and not because it's a different ball than I'm used to.

All those ones picked up on the course go in my son's bag.

I play the Costco ball (Kirkland urethane cover 3pc V2). It's generally rated very similarly to the ProV1 at about 25% of the cost. Maybe spins a little more than the Titleist, but similar launch and distance. It's a premium ball at an absolutely non-premium price.

I would consider yellow--I can see it better. I'm red-green colorblind though, so any of the orange/red/pink/etc balls are not for me. I could probably lose a red ball on the green.

White, because that's the only color available in the ball I play.

I've decided that my game is inconsistent enough, that the last variable I want to deal with is playing some random hodge-podge collection of golf balls of unknown history that I've picked up on the course. My swing is inconsistent enough as it is--I want to at least trust that the ball will do the same thing every time, and if it doesn't do what I intend, it's *my* fault and not because it's a different ball than I'm used to.

All those ones picked up on the course go in my son's bag.

I play the Costco ball (Kirkland urethane cover 3pc V2). It's generally rated very similarly to the ProV1 at about 25% of the cost. Maybe spins a little more than the Titleist, but similar launch and distance. It's a premium ball at an absolutely non-premium price.

I would consider yellow--I can see it better. I'm red-green colorblind though, so any of the orange/red/pink/etc balls are not for me. I could probably lose a red ball on the green.
Good point there. I also have Kirkland balls. They're great. The gloves at Costco are great too; 3 for $15.

I thought colored balls were for playing in the snow!! I like to golf, I hate watching. I never played much and can't anymore because I damaged my right shoulder years ago when I stepped on a stick that was on a huge granite slab, it rolled and I fell on my elbow but the shoulder joint took the damage.

"The rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated."

1619227103039.png

I like to play yellow...but right now am hitting whites just cuz they were on sale!
Haven't been to the range in a few weeks...getting the itch!
That in Jupiter, FL?

He'll be back, but I doubt he'll be much competition. We'll see. He's come back before, several times over... I was always a Tiger fan from the day he won the Masters in '97. I was just a kid then but it inspired me. I wish the best for him, he's had a rough go of it.

I go through a lot of gloves. They get vinegar-stinky and stiff right away, then a hole in the palm. I'd love to buy bulk. First world problems, haha.

BTW if you're wearing through the palm, you might want to look at your grip a bit. The grip should be much more in the fingers.

He'll be back, but I doubt he'll be much competition. We'll see. He's come back before, several times over... I was always a Tiger fan from the day he won the Masters in '97. I was just a kid then but it inspired me. I wish the best for him, he's had a rough go of it.

Yeah, I think he's probably going to be a mid-to-upper level tour player, and then once he turns 50 he'll decimate the field in the Champions Tour much like Phil is doing now.

Got out yesterday for a round at Fox Hollow in Trinity, FL. It's a nice course, with a signature 18th that plays over water. You can see the white tee marker here on the left, and the hole continues over the water on that boardwalk. Yes, those trees are in play ouch. More water to follow. Clubhouse awaits, with a veranda overlooking the 18th so you can have a cold one and watch others maneuver to the selfishly-protected green at the end.

1619386492703.png

Son and neighbor and I at Dunedin Golf Club yesterday. Neighbor is a member there. I swear he was playing in his bathing suit.

Dunedin GC course was designed in 1926 By Donald Ross. It was the first home of the PGA. It's a great course with incredible trees lining the wide fairways. There are many undulations in the fairways, not so common in flat FL. Ran into a flock of green parakeets there.

1619739336121.png

1619739358747.png

Did the guy swinging push slice that one into the trees?

Man, lately my shank seems to have come back. I haven't played since I shot that 81 a couple weeks ago. That day I was hitting it well. But ever since, on the range, I've been hitting shanks again. Pretty frustrating. Go a phone adaptor holder for my tripod so I'm going to be taking video when I practice now. The plus side is my back seems to be getting stronger and into golfing shape.

Just started playing again after 3+ year hiatus. Had some hardcore back and neck surgeries in 2017. I gained a lot of weight after the surgeries with all of the side effects. Finally got control of weight and have lost 50 lb since November. Celebrated and did a round in Miami area then another one here in Savannah. Worked out nice. No back problems

Did the guy swinging push slice that one into the trees?

Man, lately my shank seems to have come back. I haven't played since I shot that 81 a couple weeks ago. That day I was hitting it well. But ever since, on the range, I've been hitting shanks again. Pretty frustrating. Go a phone adaptor holder for my tripod so I'm going to be taking video when I practice now. The plus side is my back seems to be getting stronger and into golfing shape.

No, he it it straight on that hole (it's my son). Mine went into the trees :)

No, he it it straight on that hole (it's my son). Mine went into the trees :)
Well good for him. At the top of his swing the club looks to be pointing right into the trees.

I'm still trying to work out issues with my head moving during the back swing. That is the main cause of my shanking issues and hitting it fat I believe.

Played a tougher course than usual on Saturday...

Shot a 121 :oops:

Literally it was like I had forgotten how to hit a golf ball. Shanks, tops, etc. Hitting a pull hook was a high point because at least it advanced the ball a decent distance. Short game was almost all either chunked or over the green.

Played a tougher course than usual on Saturday...

Shot a 121 :oops:

Literally it was like I had forgotten how to hit a golf ball. Shanks, tops, etc. Hitting a pull hook was a high point because at least it advanced the ball a decent distance. Short game was almost all either chunked or over the green.
Br00tal man. It'll get better. I'd say do more practice sessions on the range before spending money to play poorly at the course. I go to the range way more than I actually play. I haven't swung a club in a week though...I should probably get to the course. It's May and the weather is acting like early April here in Iowa: chilly, windy, cloudy...does not motivate one to go play golf so much. I'm hearing it's because the jet stream is still pretty far south. Yeah, once that moves back north it'll be 90F here all of a sudden.

Playing around in the yard over the weekend and my wife decided to record a couple of swings (without me knowing.) Apparently I'm way too steep and reaching for the ball at impact with a nice little wrist flip early. Can't decide if I want to work on that or just enjoy the way I'm currently hitting the ball while accepting slightly less distance on each club

Apparently I'm way too steep and reaching for the ball at impact with a nice little wrist flip early. Can't decide if I want to work on that or just enjoy the way I'm currently hitting the ball . . .

You can always start out doing drills that are more likely to help your swing than hurt it (although nothing is certain in this game) without a heavy focus on mechanics. I'd start out with a feet together drill (hitting balls with your feet maybe one inch apart) and a step drill. Often I will warm up doing drills to help with my sequencing.

The more I think about these one length irons, the more sense it makes to me.

My biggest problem on the golf course is inconsistency. I'm sure it's not helping me much consistency-wise to have 10 different irons, all different length, lie, and weight. And that's not to mention the contact difficulty as my clubs get to 40" and longer, which is the case for my 3i and 4i since my clubs are +1.5" due to my height.

Why not go from 4h->GW, all at exactly my 8i length and lie, constant weight? Take as many variables out of the equation I can and work on one, repeatable, consistent swing...

Looking at these for 5i->GW plus the 4 hybrid... EQ1-NX Single Length Irons | Wishon Golf

The more I think about these one length irons, the more sense it makes to me.

My biggest problem on the golf course is inconsistency. I'm sure it's not helping me much consistency-wise to have 10 different irons, all different length, lie, and weight. And that's not to mention the contact difficulty as my clubs get to 40" and longer, which is the case for my 3i and 4i since my clubs are +1.5" due to my height.

Why not go from 4h->GW, all at exactly my 8i length and lie, constant weight? Take as many variables out of the equation I can and work on one, repeatable, consistent swing...

Looking at these for 5i->GW plus the 4 hybrid... EQ1-NX Single Length Irons | Wishon Golf

Cobra Golf is the one-length DeChambeau swings. I'm prolly gonna get a new set of irons like this.

Cobra Golf is the one-length DeChambeau swings. I'm prolly gonna get a new set of irons like this.

Bear in mind that Cobra does some strange things with single-length. Wishon and Edel, and Cobra's first set (the F7's) were built based on identical shaft and identical lie angle across the board. Cobra changed to go to progressive lie angles and different shafts through the set. Interestingly, the lie angle progression is exactly opposite variable-length sets, where the lie angle increases from long irons to short. In theirs, the lie angle decreases from "long" irons to "short" irons/wedges.

They claim they do this because their testing shows that golfers subconsciously swing the "long" irons harder than "short" irons, so there is more shaft droop in the head, and they adjust the lie angle to account for that. That might be true--it might not. But it's different than what you would normally expect from a single-length set, where lie angles would be consistent across the board.

I believe Bryson uses a consistent lie angle across his set--but his setup is very different than typical and his lie angles are MUCH steeper than average golfers due to his very upright single plane swing. And as with anything on tour, what the guys carry in the bag and what you would get at a big box store are probably different in many more ways than you'd think lol...

Y'all got picks for the PGA Championship? Morikawa is my man but I'd like to see Spieth complete the career Grand Slam.

Y'all got picks for the PGA Championship? Morikawa is my man but I'd like to see Spieth complete the career Grand Slam.

I don't have a pick, but it'd be nice on Sunday afternoon to see a mixture of recognizable players challenged by at least one underdog, someone yet to qualify for a "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" style video.

Back