Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This little course makes you use your long irons. Great practice.

Attachments

• EBE6B939-182F-4777-B72E-E8DDE0A7C403.png
    EBE6B939-182F-4777-B72E-E8DDE0A7C403.png
    330.2 KB · Views: 10
Looking forward to getting my regripped putter back. It'll now say "super stroke" on it so I'm sure I'll start sinking 40 ft birdie putts lol.

Also just had a lob wedge built to match my irons. The fitter measured my PW and I'm hitting an E4 swing weight. I'm going to have to get back in shape to swing my own clubs...

We have a local par 70 course that runs through a neighborhood. Most fairways are a little tight but most holes are short enough to allow irons off the tee. I don't even think about driver until #5. It's great practice and fun to target shoot. In all I'll use driver 3 times on the front and 4 on the back.

It also reminds me that for my game short par 4's are better played with an iron or hybrid tee shot. Just get to 100 to 140 from center of the green and I have a reliable shot to get me in. In fact my 100 yard shot is better than my 50 yard shot.

Played for the first time in years yesterday. Just a little 9 hole, par 3 close to my house. Lots of elevation change, though, and a few tight greens; and some nice scenery. The greens do suck, though. Really slow and bouncy.

But, man it was fun. And only $12 a round. Screw the driving range!

We have a local par 70 course that runs through a neighborhood. Most fairways are a little tight but most holes are short enough to allow irons off the tee. I don't even think about driver until #5. It's great practice and fun to target shoot. In all I'll use driver 3 times on the front and 4 on the back.

It also reminds me that for my game short par 4's are better played with an iron or hybrid tee shot. Just get to 100 to 140 from center of the green and I have a reliable shot to get me in. In fact my 100 yard shot is better than my 50 yard shot.

Yep. I find it much easier to be playing a slightly longer approach shot, from the fairway, than spending 10 minutes trying to locate my ball in the trees because I tried to rip a driver shot.

Yep. I find it much easier to be playing a slightly longer approach shot, from the fairway, than spending 10 minutes trying to locate my ball in the trees because I tried to rip a driver shot.

When I played more, I quit using drivers and long irons off the tee and just used my 7 iron. It's my most consistent club....

Next time I play the par 3, I'm just gonna take my 7, 56*, and putter.

Got a tee time at the little 9 hole part 29 course Saturday morning. And got my regripped putter and new lob wedge today.

View attachment 696579

The big putter grip is no joke. It makes a difference imo.

I have an appointment in town tomorrow morning. After the appointment I'm going to do a walk on as a single at a course I haven't played for years.

At least I'm going to try, the course webpage I want to golf at says no walk ons due to the governors covid rules, everyone needs a tee time. So I'm going to call them from the parking lot. My guess is they will want my money.

I've been playing well enough lately to feel ok barging in on a group of strangers as a single.

The little par 29 course I'm going to caters to the worst of all duffers, so even though I'm playing only my second round in 5 years, I'm not worried about that lol...

My experience playing as a single is that as long as I don't dilly dally and mind my manners I'm fine no matter how bad the round is. Good golf etiquett goes a long ways.

Played Hiwan again recently. I have shared a pic of the signature 12th hole, from the tips I think, which is a fun little par 3 from 150. Back on the tips it was more like 180. And a pic of the par 5 15th from the upper tees. The tips were so far back I barely found the short grass. Have been working on a better shoulder turn but had to go back to a little less turn so I could find something to play with.

Father in law brought a prior club champ to play. He is a real stick. I played in the cga stroke play qualifier with him 6 or so years ago. Sneaky long, looks like he was barely hitting it and chased it by me all day. His focus was waaaaay better than mine. I was hit and giggle compared to him. S..t I might have been more focused on the beer cart. He could really putt. Picked better lines than me, and put them on them with more razor like precision. He was dialed in and I was a bull in a china shop.
Screenshot_20200902-221139_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20200902-221445_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20200902-220842_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200902-221025_Samsung Internet.jpg

Found a great wedge tip, instantly made a huge difference. I have never been an overly great wedge player. Well the video is of Pelz and Martin Hall if you want to find it. Pelz says that anyone who can make a little swing just has to put the ball between their heels and hit it. Boy, I think he was right. I mean not every shot sure, etc, but my ball position sucked and it was ruining my wedge game. So give it a try. Put it between the heels and then make a little l to l swing.

My experience playing as a single is that as long as I don't dilly dally and mind my manners I'm fine no matter how bad the round is. Good golf etiquett goes a long ways.

Played and shot 34 on par 29 today. Guy I was playing with I finished with a 30. I should have done a lot better, too. Made par on 5 holes. Only really hit 2 bad shots, but lost a stroke to penalty for each. Hit 6 of 9 greens in regulation, and they were small greens, so if I could clean up the three-putts, I could have picked up two more pars.

Speaking of golf etiquette, how is this one? This is a duffers' course, with 8 of 9 holes reachable from the tee (one par 4 is only 210). So pace of play could be an issue at a course like this (oddly we made it around in about 90 minutes today though).

So coming up to the first tee, the 8:30 time was two middle-aged ladies, myself [single] and the other guy [also a single]. The ladies told us to just go ahead and play and they'd wait because they wanted to play as a twosome. There was no starter to enforce a foursome, so he and I teed off and they followed behind by themselves.

How bad was their etiquette?

Played and shot 34 on par 29 today. Guy I was playing with I finished with a 30. I should have done a lot better, too. Made par on 5 holes. Only really hit 2 bad shots, but lost a stroke to penalty for each. Hit 6 of 9 greens in regulation, and they were small greens, so if I could clean up the three-putts, I could have picked up two more pars.

Speaking of golf etiquette, how is this one? This is a duffers' course, with 8 of 9 holes reachable from the tee (one par 4 is only 210). So pace of play could be an issue at a course like this (oddly we made it around in about 90 minutes today though).

So coming up to the first tee, the 8:30 time was two middle-aged ladies, myself [single] and the other guy [also a single]. The ladies told us to just go ahead and play and they'd wait because they wanted to play as a twosome. There was no starter to enforce a foursome, so he and I teed off and they followed behind by themselves.

How bad was their etiquette?

I'd say they did good. They probably knew they would slow you down and as long as the course wasn't backed up it makes no difference.

Congrats on all the GIR.

I went out as a single and was paired up with a guy and his girlfriend. He was a single digit hc and she was a beginner. Very nice people and we kept up with group in front no problem. I had a terrible day with lots of bad shots but still had a good time. Threw the scorecard away on #16. Only one par for the round, one of those days.

I played single Thursday. I walk the course, play music from my walking cart, not a problem at my local course. I really like doing that - don't wan't to be paired up. No starter after two.

My boys got me a 52° lob wedge for my birthday. I was hoping for a club that helped me with short irons onto elevated greens - hit and stick. Man did it work great. It's my new favorite club.

My AW is 49 degrees, I use it more than any other club in the bag. Also have a 54 and 58. A good wedge can save strokes. Had a 52 at one point and played it well, not sure why I changed my wedge setup. Might have to pick up a 52 again. I might already have a 52 somewhere, lol.

I love being first out in the morning as a single. All by myself enjoying the peace and quiet. It's almost meditative.

Can't find a 52 but... I did rediscover a Callaway X 3 wood, Cleveland 3 wood, and a Titleist 17 degree 4 wood. Put the Callaway 3 wood in the bag and will give it a whirl. I have good memories of the club, iirc it was replaced with a 2i hybrid that I hit pretty well.

One of the reasons I wanted a 60 degree, beyond hitting high-loft shots when I didn't have a lot of green to work with, was that I knew I needed to start dialing distances for everything short of a PW shot.

My PW is about a 140-145 yard club. Literally (because I don't practice my SW enough) I didn't have any "full swing" club below that. I'm working now on my SW, which appears to be maybe 85-90 off the turf and 90-100 off the tee. Based on the shots I hit with the 60 degree yesterday, it's about a 65 yard club off the tee.

I'm hoping that as I get playing more often, it'll be easier to know "oh, I'm at 50 yards, so it'll be a lot easier to hit a light swing 60 degree than try to figure out how much to take off the PW or SW with a half-checked swing".

Judging by the distances you’ve said you hit. A comfortable, not too aggressive full swing with a 60 degree would be perfect at 55-65 yards.

My last nine. Ignore the tee club. Never remember to choose that. Check out the app Golfshot. Like $40. Gives you all the info you’ll ever need. Way beyond tracking scores

Attachments

• 95BBC217-3B3A-4B48-AEB0-150FAAEFC53D.jpeg
    95BBC217-3B3A-4B48-AEB0-150FAAEFC53D.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 12
when did they start rating clubs in degrees? i have my dad's old bag of clubs, and they just go from 1-9, and three woods.......

Modern drivers / fairway woods are usually given both a number and labeled in degrees. Modern wedges are often labeled in degrees. Irons usually are not.

Sounds like your clubs might be a tad old... Are your woods made of wood?

Took a nice hour drive west out to the hills of Western Mass. Played Crumpin Fox that use to always get rated in the top ten of public in the state. Faded recently but new owners are putting money back into the course and clubhouse. A couple of holes could be tweaked but a nice test. Hit my driver well. Back nine I had 7 pars and two double bogeys :/ I don't want to describe what happened on the doubles after great drives
IMG_20200911_130240.jpg
IMG_20200911_143854.jpg
IMG_20200911_151232.jpg
IMG_20200911_161212.jpg
IMG_20200911_173548.jpg

Played 18 yesterday at Newport Beach Golf Course... Which is a lot less fancy than you'd expect for being in Newport Beach lol. It's a par 59 executive course, with most tees hitting off range mats and generally in mediocre shape.

Man, what a slog.

When I played two weeks ago, my warm-up on the range was perfect. Everything was hitting pure and straight. That carried over onto the course where [9 holes] I hit 6 GIR and finished only 5 over. Only one double bogey on the day. I walked off the course thinking "this golf thing isn't that hard, just aim for the green and hit it" lol.

Nope. I warmed up on the range yesterday it it just wasn't working. None of it. And that carried over to the course. I had some very good shots [even set myself up for a nice birdie], but my game was completely inconsistent. Had the birdie and three pars on the front, but also three double bogeys. And then it just got worse on the back. Par on 10, and every other hole was a bogey or worse. Even a triple-bogey on a 125 yard par 3 where there weren't even any hazards. Finished with a 77 on the round.

I guess there's a lot more work to do.

Played 18 yesterday at Newport Beach Golf Course... Which is a lot less fancy than you'd expect for being in Newport Beach lol. It's a par 59 executive course, with most tees hitting off range mats and generally in mediocre shape.

Man, what a slog.

When I played two weeks ago, my warm-up on the range was perfect. Everything was hitting pure and straight. That carried over onto the course where [9 holes] I hit 6 GIR and finished only 5 over. Only one double bogey on the day. I walked off the course thinking "this golf thing isn't that hard, just aim for the green and hit it" lol.

Nope. I warmed up on the range yesterday it it just wasn't working. None of it. And that carried over to the course. I had some very good shots [even set myself up for a nice birdie], but my game was completely inconsistent. Had the birdie and three pars on the front, but also three double bogeys. And then it just got worse on the back. Par on 10, and every other hole was a bogey or worse. Even a triple-bogey on a 125 yard par 3 where there weren't even any hazards. Finished with a 77 on the round.

I guess there's a lot more work to do.

Bogey golf, 18 over. Could of been worse but you know the saying "That's Golf".

Played an old Donald Ross course from the 20's. Built ona hill on an old farm overlooking a reservoir. Nice mix of sneaky long and short par 4's. Some good long par 3's. Short par 5's tho I made it on on 2 on all the 5's.

I think the classic Ross greens were tamed down for a public course but you could still see remnants of his designs around the green. Just no turtlebacks. There were a couple of the smallest greens I've seen in a while.

Falls coming quick up here. Ride home and all the trees were on fire red
IMG_20200925_162651.jpg
IMG_20200925_153545.jpg

Love reading this thread.
Finally got another set after having sold mine last year just prior to our third kid...
Life's calmed down a bit, so I got out on the course last week..6:35am tee time as a single.
Horrible round but I still had a blast!

Just became a member at the country club!

Err... At the golf & practice center with a 9 hole 1115 yard par-29 course. I guess this isn't how the 1% live...

Oh well. For $40/mo I get a large bucket of balls every day, and the normal $18 fee for 9 holes is reduced to $6, plus they throw in a beverage with the round (perhaps even beer???)...

If nothing else, it'll give me an excuse to get a lot of range time, and the course is great for working on my wedge/short game.

Day off today so I thought I'd hit the executive course to practice for tomorrow. As a single I played 4 holes in about 25 minutes (+2) but now I've caught the old fogey groups in front. About to slow way down.

Ugh. Played the exec this morning. First four holes I was +1. Probably could have been even or better if I'd hit the putting green before the round--my wedge shots put me within 10 feet on 3 of the 4 holes.

The next 5 holes I was +10.

WTF happened?

Back