Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think Brady has landed a single tee shot on grass so far. Cart paths and unplayable lies seem to be his thing today :)
[edit] And as soon as I hit enter he holed a 100+ yard approach shot for a birdie :D

I don't think Brady has landed a single tee shot on grass so far. Cart paths and unplayable lies seem to be his thing today :)
[edit] And as soon as I hit enter he holed a 100+ yard approach shot for a birdie :D

I do have empathy for him.

Just saw the reaction from Barkley. If CB is giving someone crap about golfing, well, it must be a bad day, lol.

I just tuned in, Brady has hit 3 times since I've been watching and he's not been happy with anything. I have a feeling this isn't going 18 holes.

Tiger just gave Manning a good read on a putt, I wonder how many strokes I'd save with a pro green reader? Lol.

That was a lot of fun to watch. Did you see Brady's incredible chip-in? He was azz up to that point, then that shot (and wonderful long putt on 9). Tom's front nine was pretty bad. Manning was surprisingly good. And, of course, Phil and Tiger were really good, with Tiger showing us why he might be his sport's GOAT.

That was a 100 yard chip in, and let's face it, literally the only break Brady caught all day. He's gonna get ragged big time by his buddies for this :D
As sports go it was the best live action I've seen all week ;)

That was a lot of fun to watch. Did you see Brady's incredible chip-in? He was azz up to that point, then that shot (and wonderful long putt on 9). Tom's front nine was pretty bad. Manning was surprisingly good. And, of course, Phil and Tiger were really good, with Tiger showing us why he might be his sport's GOAT.

I enjoyed it a whole lot! Too bad I was finishing up with a project when it started.

Tiger is the man, so is Phil. I absolutely loved the live mics.

Well, Manning's had plenty of time to practice over the past few years. Brady's still active. I'm sure he plays more than a couple rounds a year, but he's probably barely an amateur.

TB12 carries an 8.1 handicap. In my book that's a pretty good golfer.
I think he choked.
And it didn't help that the crew kept tossing propositions at him: CB offered him a 50K bonus if he made par on I think the 4th hole - and TB12 promptly skulled his tee shot out of play. At which point CB said he should have made the bet to just keep the ball in bounds :D

Loved the repartee. The amateurs' shotmaking abilities, not so much...

Played a late round with this guy - 75 yo. Beat me, pretty easily too. We walked the course, and I swear he jogged half of it.

1590409810775.png

Tom Brady sucks and that was kind of boring. No focus on Tiger which is what I tuned in for. Most dominant athlete of all time by a mile; MJ a distant second ...but hey let’s focus on Phil trying to teach Tom how to putt.

Here's the 18. As usual, green right on the other side of water - gah. I decided to lay up just before the water from about 150y back - figured I had no shot at dropping/stopping on the green. Of course my wedge shot, which I thought was perfect, dribbled into the drink.

1590960235607.png

BTW, to anyone who is reading this thread and thinking it's passedpawn's golf blog, sorry. I love golf, do it a lot, and sorta like posting here. I also think pictures of golf are pretty cool.
Don’t mind your posts at all. I enjoy following along with everyone’s enjoyment of the game and I don’t even play.

Went to a course today. Debated playing the big course but settled on the 9 hole par 3 that the big course front 9 goes around.

Ended up 11 over for 9 holes, 17 putts, only held one of the postage stamp sized greens. I'm happy with it considering I haven't played since last June and the 2/3 power swings threw distances off.

Really looking forward to getting out and doing 18. It was pretty deserted out there today.
Awesome man, awesome! I am going to 2,3rds because I hit the ball better. Your comeback is cool, woot.

The rain never came today. Painfully slow first few holes thanks to a foursome a few groups ahead that was doing more drinking than golfing. Finally a marshal stepped in and the pace picked up. I like the new clubs, I hit the pitching wedge, 9, and 8 beautifully. I struggled getting the 6 iron up in the air, and I need to keep the rescue irons in my bag until I can figure them out on the driving range.
20200621_125658.jpg

My 8 year old, turned 9 this week is starting to play! It has been so fun. I love playing with him. Its hard to play any good I am realizing, but its fun. Still struggling, but I am just going to swing a little easier and see where that leads. The number one teacher, Butch Harmon is always saying swing 80 percent. Problem is my 80 is more like 60, always has been. I hate hitting 6 irons in when others are hitting wedge, but I guess I forgot all the times I hit good sixes, but I am aware of all the bad wild swings leaving me hooked in an effort to gain distance.

Anyhow, the little guy played arrowhead because I had some passes I had to use, and on his birthday last week we played the beaver 9 of the three Jack Nicklaus 9s in breckenridge. Beautiful and nice and cool. I am realizing how uncomfortable I am on the tips. The slope back there was 150!! Years of playing one tee up, that is where I seem comfortable. My buddy says, who is, and he is right, but I need to. I cant score back there shaking in my drawers every tee shot. Its so intimidating on a course like that. 100, 200 yard carries over junk to tight fairways with pine trees and bunkers. And because its the tips you need plenty of distance with the accuracy. Like I said, in the future I am going to go back to a nice 250 yard drive or so and take 170 in. A teacher once told me this and I played well using it as a thought, he said at least I know where its going. Right now I don't know where its going so I hope to work on that. Its been pretty cool, leaving the campsite in our new camper to go golfing. I love that. Threw in a shot of the mountain where we stayed right at the base for you skiers! Zoom in, that chair up peak 7 goes almost to 13k feet and is the highest chair in North America. That big bowl is called horseshoe bowl. People used to hike up in skins and ski down. Always admired them I have skied most of the whole mountain, nothing pretty about how I ski. I am nicknamed bomber man.
20200617_113243.jpg
20200604_173238.jpg
20200616_183733.jpg
20200616_173921.jpg
20200604_173242.jpg
20200603_165159(0).jpg
20200617_112909.jpg

Last edited:
Managed to get out for 18 holes in drizzly rain yesterday. All things considered it was a good day.

Covid golf is a little different. I had to make my own rules decisions, since nothing was official it doesn't matter. I like following the rules so I know how well I did but it just wasn't possible.

Things like no rakes in the bunkers and bunkers that aren't being taken care of resulting in a very hard surface had me declaring it as ground under repair. There was no way to make a controlled bunker shot.

I really like the Rouge driver I purchased from Callaway pre owned. I'm only up to swinging about 70% post hip replacement but that driver is going straight and I can manage 210+ on flat ground. Hopefully I'll be up to 90% before the season is over.

I still need to swing weight the shortened evenflow blue shaft that came with it so I can use it. Currently using a speeder shaft from my old driver. Swing weight with that shaft is still light at C8. I'll bring the evenflow up to D0. I keep forgetting about it, need to put it on a to do list.

Played first round of golf in 5 years today.

longer than a 5 iron. Sure, limits me to 210-220 of the tee, but I can hit it straight.

View attachment 690935

So, you are a giant then? Had a friend/neighbor who was 6'7", his 7 iron was about 180, 5 iron about the same as you report.

All kidding aside good for you being out on the course. It's one of the best things I know of.

That is beautiful! At least you had a little cloud in front of the sun, so that you weren't blinded on the approach. Used to play a course where the 18th tee was 25' below the fairway, and late in the day you had to look right into the sun to try to follow your tee shot. Lost a lot of balls there, cause no way could you see where they went.

Brew on :mug:

Played first round of golf in 5 years today.

Scored better than I expected at a 97. Strategy was not to pull a club longer than a 5 iron. Sure, limits me to 210-220 of the tee, but I can hit it straight.

View attachment 690935
I'd take that score after I had been playing for months (yes, I'm that bad.) If you can hit straight (and putt) you don't need to be long to score well. My problem is that I'm usually short and crooked.

So, you are a giant then? Had a friend/neighbor who was 6'7", his 7 iron was about 180, 5 iron about the same as you report.

All kidding aside good for you being out on the course. It's one of the best things I know of.
One of the best shots I ever hit was a 170 yd 8 iron (yeah it was down hill, but we have to take our victories where we can.)

6'5" and 265 lbs.

My 7 iron is about 170-175, and my 5 iron would be less off turf but a bit more off the tee.

Got out for 18 a few days ago. Par 73 course, 51 on the front 52 on the back. Lost far too many strokes to poor putting, lost a few more to hitting the ball too far. A couple of weeks dedicated to the range and 3 rounds a week should bring me back to my normal which is a 20 index. Nothing to brag about but I have fun doing it.

I'm almost back to normal distances post hip replacement and every once in awhile it goes even farther. New hip rotates better than the old one.

Here's a pic from the last round. This is the signature hole titled "The Rock". Picture doesn't represent the depth of the valley, it's fairly steep. Tee boxes range from about 150 to 180 depending. The green is beyond the big rock.

1597422219938.png

Got out for 18 a few days ago. Par 73 course, 51 on the front 52 on the back. Lost far too many strokes to poor putting, lost a few more to hitting the ball too far. A couple of weeks dedicated to the range and 3 rounds a week should bring me back to my normal which is a 20 index. Nothing to brag about but I have fun doing it.

I'm almost back to normal distances post hip replacement and every once in awhile it goes even farther. New hip rotates better than the old one.

Here's a pic from the last round. This is the signature hole titled "The Rock". Picture doesn't represent the depth of the valley, it's fairly steep. Tee boxes range from about 150 to 180 depending. The green is beyond the big rock.

View attachment 693883
o_Oo_O With my luck I'd hit that rock square and it would bounce back to me. Or at least onto the path below.

o_Oo_O With my luck I'd hit that rock square and it would bounce back to me. Or at least onto the path below.

Hitting the rock is unpredictable. I've seen a ball bounce almost straight up and a little forward landing on the green. Also seen them go right into the woods or backwards. Thankfully there is a drop area on the other side.

Watching us amateur at bandon dunes, fun. So pretty there, and good amateur golf, hope you find this while its on.

Back