Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ef.jpg
I played friday, and again today. Man, I love golf. I think my game is really coming together. All I can think about is the next round and where that might be.

Played Eagles GC - Forrest Course in Odessa today (local course here in Tampa area). Really nice course, but tee boxes were messy, greens were dry and fast. Who cares, I wasn't working but instead golfing with one of my boys. Great day. Man I landed some. Pitching game is going great, putting went great, fairway irons need work.

BTW, I'm a terrible golfer, always working on my (fill in the blank). Don't care, love doing it anyway, and love being on the courses.

Last edited:
the worst day golfing still beats the best day workin. cant wait to get a day off and go hit the course. my weekends are always tied up with housework...

Love golf but unfortunately haven't had the time to get out on the course in a very very long time!

Before I got my teaching gig I was working for a big box sporting goods store and got discounts at area public courses...I was playing 2-3 times a week and my game was getting on point...during my best summer my last round few rounds were bogey golf so nothing to shout out about but I was happy as a clam!

Then got my teaching gig and coaching and instead of playing golf in the summer it's family time and brewing time because I'm never home during the spring.

Anyway, love being on the course early in the morning and then having the rest of the day to do whatever

I've played since I was 6 years old. Played high school golf, tried to play college golf but could never quite get over the hump. Through my 20s and most of my 30s, before I had kids, I averaged about 75 rounds a year and played to about a 1 handicap. Two kids later, I'm lucky if I play 10 times a year, but I still love it. These days, the Handicap is closer to 5.

Dan

I used to play a lot--then back trouble intervened. Can't hold posture during the swing, which doesn't bode well for the result. Very frustrating--I was able to get my hdcp index down to 6.7, shot a round of par golf on a regulation course following the rules, and I wanted to see how low I could get it.

I've been doing strengthening exercises and workouts and my back is better; might give it a try again this spring.

Played in a best-ball scramble in early July 2015 (last time I played). Was invited onto a team by a muckety-muck, so I said yes. Practiced my short game the week before, and focused just on putting the ball in play from the tee (let the big hitters loose), and hitting decent approach shots.

Well. I have never had a short game as that day. TWO birdies from deep rough next to the green using my 60* lob wedge, chipped in another for a birdie, and ran a long putt in from the fringe. I should have bought lottery tickets that day. My team won. Nice.

The game is still there, I remember what to do--if only the flesh were as wiling as the mind.

BTW, for PP: most "hackers" spend their time on the practice tee hitting clubs that are only used for about 25-30 percent of the shots; they spend almost no time on the part of the game accounting for 70 percent of all shots, i.e., those close to or on the green. If you want to see your scores drop, invest most of your practice time on the short game. It'll take the pressure off your long game, and that will improve too--just by becoming adept at getting up and down.

And if you're inclined to read a bit, try these two: "Golf is not a game of perfect," by Bob Rotella, and "Zen Golf" by Joseph Parent. These two books were revolutionary in my development as I moved from an 18 to single digits.

Rotella's book, among other things, focuses on the short game and staying in the present. Don't think about the last shot, or how cool you'll feel in the clubhouse w/ the great round you're having. Focus on the immediate process, not the outcome at the end of the round. When I read that, I found myself in full agreement that I should stay in the present, but was left with a question: "How the hell do I do that?"

Parent's book taught me how.

BTW, when you learn to do that in golf, you can use it anywhere. I can focus my mind on what I want to think about instead of what's happening--and it works everywhere from having blood drawn (I *hate* that), to having dental work done. I knew Parent was on to something when I was having a crown put in, and in the middle of all the drilling I was on the 3rd hole enjoying a nice round of golf. In my mind, that was. :) I nearly sat up and put the drill through my cheek.

Anyway, enjoy--I'm envious. Maybe this year.....

Played a bit about 18 years ago. Some days loved it, other days hated it. Some days it was nice being in the outdoors other days not so much (really hot in FL.)

Like the game, miss playing it... A few years back, I was playing every 3-4 weeks or so. Now it's been probably 1.5 years since my last round.

But it's something I have trouble justifying for the time/cost these days. I have too many other things I want to do, and so I know I won't be playing often enough to actually keep my game fresh.

I use to play a bit. Had a lot of fun as a young guy playing with dad. Played some more with friends years ago.

After a while I just got tired of it. Friend got kind of competitive, being on a work league, and I found I didn't play enough to get any good at it. I mean, it's still fun, but for the price, and considering other options I can do, I just don't go out much anymore.

But it's always fun to hunt for lost balls! Once time I scrounged around near a pond surrounding by cattails and picked up well over a dozen balls in a few seconds. It's kind of like hunting for Morel Mushrooms, but golf balls are tougher to chew.

Look at my screen name....

I play 4 days a week in the summer. (mid May to September) Rest of the year, weather permitting probably 1-2 times a week. Amazing game. Usually shoot around 80. Personal best a few times 74. My goal is to shoot even par sometime. I am close to putting it all together one day soon. Shot some of my best golf this winter/ spring. Lots of mid 70's rounds.

Been playing for 50 years. Started at 12. Had a few times when I did not play much, but lately have been playing a lot of golf.

If you want to see your scores drop, invest most of your practice time on the short game. It'll take the pressure off your long game, and that will improve too--just by becoming adept at getting up and down.

Mongoose nailed it with this advice. I play with a few guys that can shoot in the 60's occasionally. The trait they all have is that they can get up and down froma a trash can. Miss a green, chip it close and make par, or even chip it in occasionally. Agood short game can change a mediocre round into a good round.

ef.jpg
I'm going to play at least once a week now (or, if that doesn't happen, get to the driving range). I'm pretty lucky to have a lot of cheap courses around me. I also have two boys who are very good golfers (my oldest boy hits in the 70's, youngest one is getting there).

Anybody use Hole 19 to keep track of their play? Cool app, just used it for the first time. http://www.hole19golf.com/

My goal is to get good enough to not embarrass myself when I take my boys to Streamsong, a nice new course (2 of them actually) about an hour from me. Hope stay in their accommodations and play both the courses there. They are links-style, which should be cool.

Last edited:
Speaking of the golf app, we (son and I) did the damned dumbest thing Monday. We played the first 2 holes on the "Forrest" course. App gps never locked onto our position (we thought) and so it was useless, and we kept score on our card. We got to the 3rd hole and the marker said "Hole - 12 - Lakes".

That means, not only did we start on the 10th hole, but we also started on the wrong course :) Fortunately, there was almost literally nobody on the entire course. We just found Hole 1 - Forrest, and played 18 more. I never saw a player in front or behind us the whole round! And, the app was trying to tell us we were on the wrong course all along - worked great when we corrected.

links style is so fun! i had a chance to play in Ireland a few years ago! Loved it!

I went to Ireland a few years ago also. Links courses are so much fun. Different golf than we are used to here. My favorie course over there that I played was Lahinch. Awesome. Took a caddy and he had me hit shots that I would have never thought of. amazing.

Went to a tournament Friday (Valspar Championship, which is played about 15 minutes from my house at Innisbrook). Buddy and I walked up to the 9th hole and watched Tiger Woods hit right into a lady's purse. It went right in there. Pretty funny. Jordan Spieth was playing with him (his ball bounced off the green to the fringe).

It was the first tournament I ever went to. I always thought it was sorta pointless if you couldn't golf. But it was actually a lot of fun, walking around and watching all the golfers.

Went to a tournament Friday (Valspar Championship, which is played about 15 minutes from my house at Innisbrook). Buddy and I walked up to the 9th hole and watched Tiger Woods hit right into a lady's purse. It went right in there. Pretty funny. Jordan Spieth was playing with him (his ball bounced off the green to the fringe).

It was the first tournament I ever went to. I always thought it was sorta pointless if you couldn't golf. But it was actually a lot of fun, walking around and watching all the golfers.

My wife and I went to the 2010 US Open at Pebble Beach. It was amazing seeing the golfers in person and so close. We saw Phil hit in the water on 17 and 18. That guy takes some chances.

Been watching the Valspar on TV. Some great golf was played today. So many golfers are in the hunt right now.

Started golfing late in life at 39 years old. I love the game but it's totally unnatural to me. My best handicap index was a 22 and it took lots of practice and some lessons to get there. Every once in awhile I'll shoot in the 80's but not so much anymore. In fact I'd be hard pressed to break 100 right now but I'm not really practicing or golfing much. Plan to start up again next week, good weather is finally here and I'm semi-retired so I'll go out during the week when everyone else is at work.

I enjoy golf but haven't played in several years. I'm a farmer, live on the frozen northern plains, and the short golf season here is also my busy season on the farm.

I used to play 3-4 times a month, and got to the point where I could sometimes shoot 2-3 over (meaning that I only lost 2 or 3 more balls than I found).

I used to play a lot but haven't been out in a few years.

I went to the Phoenix Open twice when I was younger...Holy party.
We went to the Birds Nest (look it up) afterwards and partied like rockstars with the other 100,000 party animals.
I'd recommend it for those looking for a good time.

I enjoy golf but haven't played in several years. I'm a farmer, live on the frozen northern plains, and the short golf season here is also my busy season on the farm.

I used to play 3-4 times a month, and got to the point where I could sometimes shoot 2-3 over (meaning that I only lost 2 or 3 more balls than I found).

Grew up on a farm in eastern SD. I was far more interested in fishing or hunting on my down time than anything else.

I do recall a local news story from the 80's. A dairy farmer in Minnesota had made a 9 hole course in his pasture. There were extra hazards in the form of cow pies but it allowed him to golf in between milking sessions.

I went to the 101st US Open in 2001 at Southern Hills in Tulsa. It was a great time. Haven't been to one since. I should work on fixing that.

Glad I found this thread. I have played golf 2-3 times a year for 30 years, but never really "tried" to play the game. About 18 months ago, I decided that I wanted to start playing. Since June of last year, I have played 34 rounds, 13 this year already. I have seen my score go from the typical 120+ down to a 104 on average, with a couple sub-100 rounds mixed in. My goal is bogey golf and I am getting there slowly. By the end of the summer I hope to be shooting 95-ish consistently. I am going to Phoenix for Spring Training in 2 weeks and plan to play a round while I'm out there too. I work from home on Mon and Fri, which basically means that I cut out early every Mon and Fri and go play golf. God, I love golf! I'm obsessed now. I think about it constantly and even dream about playing. Even now, I should be working but I'm replying to thread about golf!

I went to the 101st US Open in 2001 at Southern Hills in Tulsa. It was a great time. Haven't been to one since. I should work on fixing that.

Glad I found this thread. I have played golf 2-3 times a year for 30 years, but never really "tried" to play the game. About 18 months ago, I decided that I wanted to start playing. Since June of last year, I have played 34 rounds, 13 this year already. I have seen my score go from the typical 120+ down to a 104 on average, with a couple sub-100 rounds mixed in. My goal is bogey golf and I am getting there slowly. By the end of the summer I hope to be shooting 95-ish consistently. I am going to Phoenix for Spring Training in 2 weeks and plan to play a round while I'm out there too. I work from home on Mon and Fri, which basically means that I cut out early every Mon and Fri and go play golf. God, I love golf! I'm obsessed now. I think about it constantly and even dream about playing. Even now, I should be working but I'm replying to thread about golf!

Sounds a lot like my situation. I need to play more also - it's the path to getting better for sure.

Here's one suggestion: put 80 percent of your practice time on shots within 50 yards of the hole, 70 percent within 10 yards of the green--and that includes putting.

As long as you can reasonably and reliably advance the ball, the place you score is close to the hole. Look at how many strokes are taken with 50 yards of the hole, and how many beyond that.

If you can take 2 putts and make them 1 putt, you've saved a stroke. A short game that gets the ball close enough to sink the putt will drop your score.

A good short game also takes the pressure off the rest of your game. You can swing more freely knowing that you can recover from mistakes.

"Practicing" before a round doesn't really work all that well. You need to find a way to practice then sleep on it. Pre-round "practice" should just be getting loose, finding out how you're hitting shots that day, recovering the feel of short-game shots.

That can be difficult if you don't have ready access to a practice facility or range.

Whenever I go to a range where there is a short-game area to practice, I'm always amazed by how many people are banging away with the driver and how many are working on the short game. Typically a 10-1 ratio or even more.

Here's one suggestion: put 80 percent of your practice time on shots within 50 yards of the hole, 70 percent within 10 yards of the green--and that includes putting.

As long as you can reasonably and reliably advance the ball, the place you score is close to the hole. Look at how many strokes are taken with 50 yards of the hole, and how many beyond that.

If you can take 2 putts and make them 1 putt, you've saved a stroke. A short game that gets the ball close enough to sink the putt will drop your score.

A good short game also takes the pressure off the rest of your game. You can swing more freely knowing that you can recover from mistakes.

"Practicing" before a round doesn't really work all that well. You need to find a way to practice then sleep on it. Pre-round "practice" should just be getting loose, finding out how you're hitting shots that day, recovering the feel of short-game shots.

That can be difficult if you don't have ready access to a practice facility or range.

Whenever I go to a range where there is a short-game area to practice, I'm always amazed by how many people are banging away with the driver and how many are working on the short game. Typically a 10-1 ratio or even more.
Even though I wasn't a "golfer", this has always been my philosophy. It never made since to me that most people would go to the range and just hit the driver over and over. You hit a driver, say, 12 times a round? Why then is that the club you choose to practice the most?!?! I am not a driver. I have a hard time getting off the tee box, but from 130 yds in, I'm money. So if I can lay a decent shot 170-200 off the tee box, and keep it in the fairway, I can play my irons in. And my putts greatly improved when I switched to a Taylormade Spider. Huge difference in keeping the ball straight.

Even though I wasn't a "golfer", this has always been my philosophy. It never made since to me that most people would go to the range and just hit the driver over and over. You hit a driver, say, 12 times a round? Why then is that the club you choose to practice the most?!?! I am not a driver. I have a hard time getting off the tee box, but from 130 yds in, I'm money. So if I can lay a decent shot 170-200 off the tee box, and keep it in the fairway, I can play my irons in. And my putts greatly improved when I switched to a Taylormade Spider. Huge difference in keeping the ball straight.

There's a lot of truth in that. However, the closer you are to the green, the easier it is to hit the middle. I will use most of my range time with a driver/fairway woods. Reason - accuracy is more important with woods than irons. If I'm off 2 degrees from frozen rope with my short irons, I may be looking at 10 -15 feet extra of a putt or chip. If I'm off 2 degrees with my driver, I'm taking a drop, yelling 'fore', or weed-whacking.

There's 2 different clubs in my bag that have their place. The golf clubs for when I'm having a good day and the Canadian Club if the fist clubs aren't working.

Shot pretty avg today. 50 on the front but fell apart on the back and shot a 54. Not a big difference, I know, but I shouldve broke 100. Playing again tomorrow.

Teeing off in 2 hours lol. I grew up a baseball player so the golf swing comes fairly natural to me. Couple years ago I could shoot regularly I'm the 80's but I haven't been playing since really. I can hit it a long way but that has severe consequences if it isn't straight.

Silly game ... :D

A ton of parallels between golf and homebrewing:

Both have unlimited equipment upgrade options, theories, points of view, and misinformation in print and on the internet.

Both have us striving to have a repeatable process in order to obtain predicable results in particular situations.

Both have us chasing dragons (par, efficiency numbers, holes in one, that one brew, etc.).

Both take about 4 hours give or take, involve beer, and record keeping.

But at least homebrewing does not require sunscreen.

I used to play 2 to 3 times a week. Picked it up in my 30(s). Got to a 15 handicap. Went to the Sony Open while in Hawaii on a business trip and saw the women play in Nashville at Vince Gill’s tournament. Even met Vince. Then, the wife had a severe medical issue that took me out of the game. Haven’t played in three years. Now hobbies are closer to home by necessity. Sure do miss it.

Thanks. I’ve read the same. 5 of my last 10 rounds have been under 100 so im definitely getting better. Broke 100 for the first time last June. So yeah, real happy!

Made it to the course today. Driving range was ok and gave me some confidence. Managed to be 3 over after the first three holes but stopped keeping score after the 6th. A 4 putt followed by a 5 putt followed by two lost balls will do that.

I hit the drive into the woods on 7. Hit a provisional that was just about perfect. Then hit that ball into the woods and couldn't find it. That's when I decided it was a practice round.

I was tired, huffing and puffing on the very hilly back 9.

My goal for this year will be to regularly break 100. The only way to meet that goal is to hit the driving range at least 2 times a week, practice chipping in the back yard, and make it to the course at least once a week. If I can't get it going in a month it's time for a tune up lesson or 3.

At the airport now. Heading out to see @Whut in Phoenix. Gonna catch a few spring training games and play a round. Can't decide if I'm more excited about seeing spring ball or playing golf!

Back