Lotus Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I picked up some of these hops as the descriptors sounded pretty good for a brew I have coming up. Have any of you used Lotus hops and what has your experience been?

1594651798745.png

Have used them a few times now. I find they have a vague citrusy-fruity-herbal character when young and it tends to go big coconut-sunscreen as the beer ages. Not my favorite, but works in NEIPA as a blend with other fruity hops.

That's interesting, not the answer I was hoping for LOL! Was looking to use them as a small dry hop charge paired with Huell Melon to enhance the aroma in a raspberry/blackberry/cherry sour. I still have time to order others, we'll see.

Used them once, wasn’t a big fan. They had this really weird blend of herbal/earthy/tropical and yeah almost synthetic vanilla/coconut. Could have been the lot I used. Was when they were an experimental variety a few years ago. Might have improved since then. Personally I’ve never really enjoyed many of the Hopsteiner hops. Denali/Sultana might be the best they offer IMHO.

Also keep in mind hop character is completely different in sour beer. pH has a dramatic effect on things.

Used them once, wasn’t a big fan. They had this really weird blend of herbal/earthy/tropical and yeah almost synthetic vanilla/coconut. Could have been the lot I used. Was when they were an experimental variety a few years ago. Might have improved since then. Personally I’ve never really enjoyed many of the Hopsteiner hops. Denali/Sultana might be the best they offer IMHO.

Also keep in mind hop character is completely different in sour beer. pH has a dramatic effect on things.

That's very interesting. There is another thread that I stumbled across where someone else tried this hop and their experience was somewhat positive. After hearing this feedback and reading the other thread, I think i'll keep it a small percentage of the dry hop, like maybe 20-30% and see how it goes.

The other one I've been reading about is Epic hops. I'm curious about those as well. Going to go see if I can find anything on them in the forum.

Back