lotsa bananas, what to do with 'em?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamsin

Reaction score
I've some banana trees here in Thailand, too many to eat and the neighbours get sick of them.

I've looked at banana beer recipes, but don't think I'm up to building a pit and wouldn't be able to either source the cereal required or drink within a week:drunk:

Dearth of drinkable affordable wine here, so thought I'd have a go at some banana wine. Have some wine yeast brought over by some mate a while ago, still works as always test with warm water and a little sugar to see if it's still alive. BUT, do I really need tannin (tea) (pectin) isn't that already in the bananas? I'm looking at making a wine with just the bananas, sugar, yeast and a little lime juice, can source camden tabs - same as I make ginger beer.

Will just these ingredients do? Don't want to wait around a few months to find out it's undrinkable. Thanks.:ban:

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I've looked into banana recipes before and they seem fairly reasonable. Tannin is for bittering, and pectin is already in the bananas. It seems a lot of people when they design wine recipes always add pectin enzyme and tannin even if it makes sense or not.I would possibly skip the lime juice and use the zest off of them instead to impart more of a lime flavor, but that's just me.

And welcome to the forum!

Check out my recipe (from Jack Keller's site) on banana wine. You can leave out many of the ingredients, and use just banana, sugar, yeast and water until it's done, then add some acid (lemon juice) to taste if needed for balance.

Thanks guys. So it looks like about 1kg sugar to 1kg to fruit to 1gal water then.
I'm of to buy a lot of 5k of sugar - you should see the look on my local market guy's face, they're muslim and wouldn't occur to them I'm making booze:p

I'll let you know how it turns out. Wine so damned expensive here and get a tad tired of beer:tank:

Another vote for Banana Wine!!! My nephew makes it and it is great. I use it in my Jamaican Banana Bread...(alongside spiced rum) both in the batter and sprayed on before wrapping....

you lucky thing i love banana wine,haven't made any in along time but it is so worth it and if your lucky like i was it could turn out sparkling.the only thing i didnt like was the smell of the boiling bananas round the house for hours after.hope it turns out ok..

What's with the Irish and banana wine? Oh, it must be the omnipresent banana trees, right? I mean people are just tripping over them on O'Connell St.

Up de Dubs!

What's with the Irish and banana wine? Oh, it must be the omnipresent banana trees, right? I mean people are just tripping over them on O'Connell St.

Up de Dubs!

It's a poxy banana republic, didn't Geldof tell us all that years ago?

Back