Lots of Sulfur- De-gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azurecybe

Reaction score
I did a fresh pressed cider about 4 months ago and fermented with Cote Des Blancs. No sugar additions and OG of 1.055 FG 1.000. I used 1 campden tablet 24 hrs prior to pitching.

The fermentation went pretty smoothly and the cider cleared about 3 weeks ago. I racked to a keg for serving but.. good lord.. there is a ton of sulfur in the aroma. I mean I can purge the keg repeatedly and still get overwhelmed.

I plan on serving this cider still, so my question is would de-gassing the cider with one of those wine whip things be a good idea? I haven't read anything about oxidation and cider so I'm just looking for suggestions. I can't drink it like this.

Thanks in advance!

Oxidation will be a problem with cider if you try and store it for long periods of time. Since you aren't enjoying it right now, I'd say use a wine stirrer and give it a go. Maybe even racking it into another keg or a bottling bucket while letting it splash a little. The campden (I think) is supposed to be an anti-oxidant, but I've never used them myself.

Hopefully by stirring and splashing it will at least get to a point where you could consume it quick enough to keep the oxidation from getting too bad.

You need Camden tab and potassium sorbate you keep opening the keg letting air in that going to be bad...I use Camden tab and sorbate then let site air locked 24-48 before racking

I did a fresh pressed cider about 4 months ago and fermented with Cote Des Blancs. No sugar additions and OG of 1.055 FG 1.000. I used 1 campden tablet 24 hrs prior to pitching.

The fermentation went pretty smoothly and the cider cleared about 3 weeks ago. I racked to a keg for serving but.. good lord.. there is a ton of sulfur in the aroma. I mean I can purge the keg repeatedly and still get overwhelmed.

I plan on serving this cider still, so my question is would de-gassing the cider with one of those wine whip things be a good idea? I haven't read anything about oxidation and cider so I'm just looking for suggestions. I can't drink it like this.

Thanks in advance!

Most likely the sulfer is from the yeast having been stressed with too little nutrient. Sugar alone will not sustain them.

But that's in the past. Right now you want to know how to fix the problem.

My suggestion is a compound one that I use for wine that takes on the same sulfer characteristic. Rack the cider viggerously(sp?) and while doing so have it run past/over some copper. I use a copper thread inserted into my racking tube. The contact with copper will chemically change the SO2 molecules to a less odious compound.

I would definitly add some sulfite afterwards to prevent oxidation from the racking. About 1/4 tsp for every 5 gallons is my ratio.

Hope this helps!

Back