Lots of questions for new keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjmac85

Reaction score
So I have the hole cut in the top. I found a place here that can do welding for pretty cheap. I am planning on moving to all grain. I am going to start with a BIAB method. Already have the bag on order. What I need is to install a ball valve in the keggle. Should I go welded or non welded? If I go welded I am going to put a 1/2npt connector in to connect the ball valve. Can the dip tube just screw in on the inside? Does this require a special fitting? is the 1/2 NPT an elbow? Do I need a dip tube?

What I would like is the option to keep doing BIAB or switch to the mash tun later made out of a cooler. I don't want to have to reweld stuff on.

The part that threads into the interior is what I call a diptube assembly which includes the compression fitting.
12diptubeoptions.jpg

You can also do the same thing weldless.

What I need is to install a ball valve in the keggle.

What you want perhaps...do not think that you NEED to have a ball valve...not that hard to siphon out of the kettle to get started...add the valve as you see fit...BobbyM has a pretty good write up weldless vs welded at his site FWIW

My .02 is go with welded fittings, mark your centers, and let the welder cut the holes. This way he can fit with the appropriate gaps. The upper of the 2 in BobbyM's post. On the outside you will need a close nipple, ball valve, and what ever you plan to connect to ball valve to. (I have a nipple, 90, and barbed fitting)

Back