Lots of questions about my second batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratefuldisc

Reaction score
My first brew is coming out of primary soon and I am thinking about my next batch. My first batch is a california common steam beer. For my second, I am thinking of doing Papazian's Sparrow Hawk Porter.

Papazian says SH Porter is similar to Anchor's Porter and calls for a lager yeast but does not say anything about fermentation temps. I was under the impression that a porter was an ale by style, so I am guessing this is also a steam beer and I should ferment at ale temps?

Should I pitch onto the yeast cake (SafLager S-23 I think it was) from my first batch or get another packet and start from scratch for my second brew? If I messed up on my first batch, I don't want it to carry over to my second...

One thing I did in my first batch was boil 3 gallons instead of 1.5 gallons. From other posts, I understand that the more you boil the more hop utilization you have (is that right?) Is this why when I tasted my OG sample it was more bitter than I was expecting? In Papazian's recipe he says to boil 1.5 gallons, if I boil more should I adjust the hops schedule?

Also I kinda wanted to add coffee (I love Kona's Pipeline Porter) Is this typically done by steeping before adding extract or during the boil or in secondary? How much for 5 gallons? ground or whole beans?

My first brew is coming out of primary soon and I am thinking about my next batch. My first batch is a california common steam beer. For my second, I am thinking of doing Papazian's Sparrow Hawk Porter.

Papazian says SH Porter is similar to Anchor's Porter and calls for a lager yeast but does not say anything about fermentation temps. I was under the impression that a porter was an ale by style, so I am guessing this is also a steam beer and I should ferment at ale temps?

Should I pitch onto the yeast cake (SafLager S-23 I think it was) from my first batch or get another packet and start from scratch for my second brew? If I messed up on my first batch, I don't want it to carry over to my second...

One thing I did in my first batch was boil 3 gallons instead of 1.5 gallons. From other posts, I understand that the more you boil the more hop utilization you have (is that right?) Is this why when I tasted my OG sample it was more bitter than I was expecting? In Papazian's recipe he says to boil 1.5 gallons, if I boil more should I adjust the hops schedule?

Also I kinda wanted to add coffee (I love Kona's Pipeline Porter) Is this typically done by steeping before adding extract or during the boil or in secondary? How much for 5 gallons? ground or whole beans?

I would only use the same yeast for the same style.

The bitterness will mellow.

the rest, ?

Back