Lots of foam late in boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonjeshk

Reaction score
So there’s a first time for everything...

As I type, I am getting to the end of the boil on a pilsner, 5 minutes left. Here’s the grist and hop schedule:

Malt Bill
Malt NameWeightPPGSRMType
Pilsner, Bohemian - 1.9°L4.00 kg1.0371.90Mashed Grain
Munich Malt - 10L0.50 kg1.03510.00Mashed Grain
Acidulated Malt - 1.8°L0.20 kg1.0271.80Mashed Grain
Mash Rest Profile
RestTemperatureTimeTypeDetails
Hop Bill
Hop NameTime AddedWeightAA%Type
Saaz (U.S)60 min2.00 oz4.0%Pellet Hop
Saaz (U.S)25 min1.00 oz4.0%Pellet Hop
Saaz (U.S)5 min1.00 oz4.0%Pellet Hop

So right now, I am getting a LOT of foam. I’ve done ~60 batches and never seen anything like this before. It’s a 5 gallon batch and the foam is almost reaching the top of my 10 gallon pot. Additionally, there is an odd bitter flavour to the wort, not sure what to make of it. Any ideas as to what the issue could be? And most importantly is this batch already ruined? I’ve already decided to see this batch through, but I’m not feeling terribly optimistic.

There's nothing in your recipe that suggests a fatality is imminent, so definitely don't treat this brew as a lost cause.
Whatever the cause it's likely benign - maybe a hop bag breach?
Stay the course and you'll likely figure out what happened while you're enjoying your beer :)

Cheers!

Only time I see tons of foam is with the initial boil/hot break. Let us know if you figure it out.

Back