Lots of foam but no airlock activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all

This is my second all grain batch. The first went really well. This time, the beer has been fermenting for 48 hours, when I saw no airlock activity, I opened the lid and saw lots of foam (I mean like 10 inches on a 14 gallon fermenter).

So, it looks like it's fermenting but I wonder why the airlock shows no movement at all!

Thanks in advance to any that can help.

Pere

Sorry, just found my answer elsewhere in the forum.

Tried to delete this post, but couldn't figure out how to do it. Can someone help me out with that? Thanks again

Wow! Those where fast replies! Thanks!

I assume that the lid doesn't fit perfectly since it was slightly damaged at one edge.

unionrdr: yes, there is quite a bit of headspace, I'd say there's 10 gallons of beer

Im having the same problem right now, Split my batch into 2, carboy is going nuts, my ale pale has no airlock activity but much foam.

Should I rack it out of the ale pale sooner due to this most likely crappy seal or not even worry about it?

Let it ride,but keep an eye on it for FG as soon as possible. Too much head space can be a problem. not that it will be everytime...

Im having the same problem right now, Split my batch into 2, carboy is going nuts, my ale pale has no airlock activity but much foam.

Should I rack it out of the ale pale sooner due to this most likely crappy seal or not even worry about it?

Don't worry about it. The headspace is full of CO2 and the beer will be just fine. Give it a week for the yeast to clean up after you hit FG and bottle or keg' I usually bottle at 3-4 weeks for average beers.

Back