Lots of Firsts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egy

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

While this is my first post I've spent many hours reading past threads and other information on this site. It's great to have such an amazing amount of information available, and following past forums of everyone's experience is priceless. So first, I'd like to say Thanks!

I typed this post mainly to write all my thoughts and learnings to make sure I hadn't over looked anything, but I figure it'd be worth posting now since I've got it.

I've been brewing on and off for a few years now and recently my interest (maybe due to finally having some time) has exploded. I'm planning on brewing my first all grain batch this weekend. Please feel free to make comments regarding: tips, unintentional omissions, errors, experiences, opinions, etc!

So here's the plan for my first all grain Belgian Wit (variation of a Hoeegarden Clone posted by "Schlenkerla" - also my first Belgian style brew):

I started this week building an MLT out a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler. I opted to go with the copper manifold design (square shaped with two center cross members). Got it all built last night and going to clean/sterilize it this evening. Also this evening, I'm going pick up my ingredients for brewing tomorrow. My ingredient schedule is as follows:

50% 5lbs Belgian Pils
50% 5lbs Flaked Wheat
60min .25oz Nuggest Pellets
15min .5oz Saaz Pellets
5min .5oz Coriander Seeds
5min .5oz Bitter Orange Peel
Wyeast 3944 Belgian White

I plan to execute my mash as follows:
Infusion mash with a protein rest @ approx 125dF and Sachrification @ approx 150dF. Batch sparge.

-Boil 2-3 gallons of water and fill mlt to preheat.
-Preheat for for 20 minutes, then drain and fill with strike water (8qts 135dF - .8qts/lb).
-Add grains slowly while stirring.
-Adjust temp if needed and let rest for 20 minutes.
-Add 7qts of water at 210dF, bringing my mash up to 150dF (hopefull) @ 1.5qts/lb
-Adjust temp if needed and let rest for 60 minutes.

-Vorlauf
-Collect first runnings

-Add 14qts of 180dF sparge water and let rest for 30 minutes

-Collect running and boil!

Now, my Evaporation rate is about 15%/hour - I figured this based on all of my previous batches, I boil 5 gallons and have to top up with approx .75 gallons when I'm done with my 60 min boil. Thus: .75g/hour of 5g = 15%/hour

I used this to get my volume of sparge water (14qt). 14qts+7qts+8qts=29qts, factoring in a grain absorption of 0.125 gallons/lb, that should yeild about 6 gallons of wort that over my hour long boil with my evap rate of 15% should leave me with my 5 gallon batch. (I like doing the math, even if I'm wrong - that's how we learn right?)

Theres a lot more I want to add to this but in the interest of attracking readers, I'm done fore now. Though i'd like to end with:

A lot of these number are based on averages (or what I feel is the average) of all the different information I've read, calculations researched or experiences followed (thanks again everyone). And, I factor RDWHAHB into all my calculations. :D

Looks like you got it down. My one tip would be to possibly have some boiling/near boiling water available when you are step mashing. I do a quart of boiling water in a pyrex in the microwave. That way you can bring your temp up if you miss. Real easy to bring temp down, real hard to bring it up. I have taken to just adding 5 quarts of boiling to come from 132 to 155. Seems to work better for me. Good luck.

Where are the rice hulls? You have a lot of wheat which has no hulls for a filter bed. Without them you may have trouble with lautering and draining the tun.

I just bottled one very similar to that using the same yeast. I started fermenting mine at 62 for 3 days, ramped it to 65 for another 2, then to 72 for another week and the airlock was still bubbling. Boosted it to 83 for 3 days and the bubbling finally stopped. FG was 1.006 when the expected was 1.016. Tasted good at bottling.

Yes, rice hulls! That would a prime example of why I posted this. I should probably go buy a pound or half a pound? What's the rule of thumb on corn hulls?

Back