Lost yeast in blown off Krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everybody.
I have just started brewing at home about 2 months ago (all grain).
Three days ago I brewed my first 20 Lt of Hefeweizen. I made a starter to get around 330 Billion cells of Wyeast 3068 (297 Billion were required according to BradSmith Tool) but I did not read the manufacturer's recommendation to allow 33% free space in the fermentor.... Result: The day after brew day, I found the airlock gone and Krausen all over the fermentor and on the floor....... I cleaned every thing with paper towels soaked in Iodofor solution and a put a blow-off tube with Iodofor Solution in the blow-off jug. It was blowing like crazy at 20C. Yesterday I found about 200 cc of a sediment inside the blow off jug, with a consistency very similar to the trub you find after the fermentation settles. This sediment had an intense banana-like smell.... since it continued blowing considerably, I reduced the temperature to 18.5 C and this morning, the activity was less intense and I could finally put the airlock back.
I wonder if I have lost some yeast?
Should I add more yeast to my fermentor ?
Any recommendations ?

Many thanks in Advance

Yes you lost some yeast. But the yeast continued to reproduce after pitching and will reproduce if more are necessary to ferment the beer. The cell count lost to blow off is probably not significant.

Unless you had an extremely massive blow off there is no need to add any yeast.

Start every fermentation with a blow off tube set up. Unless you have a large headspace.

I look at the optimum fermentation range for each yeast and ferment at or just below the mid point.

A simple rule of thumb is that with the yeast from one batch can ferment tenfold the gravity points in a next batch. Like kh54s10 said, don't worry. But to be honest I'd let it ride at the temp you started at. Depending on yeast strain you might get som sulfur you need to scrub away which might take a few extra days.

Brewed a Hefeweizen 3 weeks ago with WY 3068. Even with temperature control and using my big fermentor krausen was pushing through the air lock. Rigged the blow off tube but instead of sanitizer in the blow off jug had a liter of 1.040 wort. Two fermentations at the same time. One in the fermentor and one in the blow off jug with top cropped yeast.

Back