Lost yeast after pitching…re-pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaintBenedict

Reaction score
Hi,

After appreciating well-crafted beer for many years, I've recently made the foray into home brewing. While waiting for my first all-grain beer to ferment, I thought I'd bide my time by making a few batches of EdWort's much beloved apfelwein.

My first one-gallon batch went off without a hitch and is now happily bubbling away in my closest. Seeing how easy it was to do, I made another one-gallon batch last night. (My large carboy is currently in use.) After pitching the yeast, I rinsed it down the funnel with the remaining apple juice. However, I failed to notice how dangerously close the level of juice was to the top of the carboy and it overflowed slightly leaving some of the yeast clinging to the outside of the gallon jug. Since this was a small batch, I used about half a packet of yeast, but I have no way of telling how much I lost in the overflow. With that in mind, I was hoping some experienced apfelwein enthusiasts could advise me on how to proceed.

1) Should I pitch the remaining yeast in the packet?

2) If so, should I shake it up again to mix in the new yeast and aerate the solution? Or, do I just pitch and re-bung?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

IMO, I would wait to see if fermentation starts, then talk about repitching if it does not in 48-72 hours.

Thanks for the input.

Incidentally, even if fermentation does begin, doesn't there remain the potential risk of insufficient yeast in the apple solution to "eat" all the sugar present? Couldn't this result in residual sugar and a lower ABV percentage?

...doesn't there remain the potential risk of insufficient yeast in the apple solution to "eat" all the sugar present? Couldn't this result in residual sugar and a lower ABV percentage?

Unlikely. Underpitching and underattenuation aren't highly correlated. If it does stall, you can add more active yeast at that point to finish it off.

Unlikely. Underpitching and underattenuation aren't highly correlated.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that.

If it does stall, you can add more active yeast at that point to finish it off.

It's nearly 10 hours after pitching the yeast, and the airlock is releasing a bubble approximately every 3–4 seconds. The bubbling isn't particularly lively, but it's consistent.

Back