Lost volume in fermenter, but no apparent leaks...what could it be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FMWarner

Reaction score
Hi all...

I'm still very much a beginner, I'm only making my second brew. I have a curious situation where I've lost 4L of volume in three days from the fermenter, and I'm kind of at a loss to figure out what's going on.

I'm making cider in a 30L plastic fermenter. Brew day was Monday, and today (Thursday), I noticed that I had 17L of liquid in the fermenter, down from my starting level of 21L.

* There was some liquid on the floor surrounding the fermenter, but only a few ounces - nowhere near what was lost in volume.

* The airlock was clean of residue and the fermenter did not have any liquid pooled in the lid or drip marks down the side of it, so it's not a violent fermentation. I felt around for leaks on the bottom, but couldn't find any and it's a brand new fermenter anyway, this is only my second brew.

* The spout was dry as was the floor directly underneath it, so I don't think it was a leaky spout.

* The airlock did have almost all of the liquid on one side of it, so I guess maybe evaporation is possible, although 4L seems a lot in three days.

I'm kind of at a loss to what might be causing this. My first brew didn't lose any volume at all. Right now I have the fermenter sitting on a towel outside so that it doesn't drip on the floor anymore and maybe I can tell from looking at the towel where a leak might be. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks so much,
Francis

There's nothing in the standard brewing process that could account for that much loss in volume. It must have came from somewhere (like a curious flat mate).

You wouldn't happen to have a teenage boy in the house would you?

Idiot teenage son: Dude, my Dad's making liquor in the basement!

Idiot teenage son's idiot teenage buddy: Dude! Let's go score some!

Idiot teenage son: Cowabunga! (or whatever idiot teenagers say these days)

Thanks, guys! No dogs or teenagers here, although there is a cat who would probably have burned the house down if he drank 4L of cider.

I did find a leak with my towel trick - there was one in the joint between the spout and the fermenter - kinda fooled me because I only felt the spout for wetness, not the joint.

Still have no idea about where that 4L went, though - I have hardwood floors, so I thought maybe for a moment it soaked through them, but the surface is intact and no warping. In any event, disaster has been averted - 12 hours since I tightened the joint and no wetness on the towel.

Thanks for the suggestions and the laughs!

Back