Lost: The End

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't expect to get a list of bullet point explanations for each question raised, but I did think that after the last episode, I could re-watch the series and see how each question fits into the grand scheme.

Instead it seems like a great deal of the mystery in the show was created simply to mesmerize viewers at the time (ratings), with no intention of resolution. I'm fine with the direction they went with the ending, but it was far from complete.

The video above is meant to be humorous, but a lot of the questions in it are valid and are things I was anxiously awaiting answers to that were never delivered. Guess we'll never know because there are no answers.

Finally got to watch this last night and was horribly disappointed at the end. It looked like it was going to be ok. I was fine with it up until the last bit, then they turned it into a load of crap! It was all just in their spiritual heads as they tried to come to grips with the fact that they all died in the plane crash in episode one?!? WTF is that?!? One step away from "And then I woke up and it was never real". They should have just ended it with Hurley becoming the new Jacob and walking off into the sunset. I'd have been satisfied with that. Don't just undo 6 years as basically a dream sequence. It's the kinda stuff they use on daytime soap operas to bring back characters and situations they killed off and then changed their minds about.

I think the ending was done well for what the show was.

If you look back, it was always a show about the characters, with a bunch of cool/crazy stuff going on around them.

They answered the important questions in the last few episodes, and saved the finale for a resolution of the characters.

After I watched it, I was a little upset, then kind of confused. A few days of reflection, and I'm satisfied and quite pleased with the ending.

Great show, great/unique ending. Even if I don't necessarily agree with the premise, but hey! It's fiction right?! ;)

If you look back, it was always a show about the characters, with a bunch of cool/crazy stuff going on around them.

They answered the important questions in the last few episodes, and saved the finale for a resolution of the characters.

After I watched it, I was a little upset, then kind of confused. A few days of reflection, and I'm satisfied and quite pleased with the ending.

You've EXACTLY nailed my sentiments on the finale.

Looking forward to the Blu-Ray boxed set now to re-watch and find all the clues I missed.

I'd agree with you up to the final bit. Just saying that none of it ever happened and they all imagined it or something was way too much of a cop-out.

Plus, they didn't explain all the important stuff. WTF was with the NUMBERS?!?!? heheh

I'd agree with you up to the final bit. Just saying that none of it ever happened and they all imagined it or something was way too much of a cop-out.

Plus, they didn't explain all the important stuff. WTF was with the NUMBERS?!?!? heheh

No they never implied that. It all did happen, thats the point. The flash sideways was really a pseudo purgatory where the characters when AFTER they died. Christian also stated that time didn't matter there, , and that some died before Jack, and some long after. So everything did happen. Jack died, Hurley was the new Jacob, probably for a long time with Ben as his #2. The guys who flew off the island presumably got back safe and lived some sort of life before dying (or their plane crashed, I guess it doesn't matter).

My guess is that they were all "waiting" until the last one died, then they could all meet up again and "move on". Probably Hurley or Desmond since they were the ring leaders in rouding everyone up.

No they never implied that. It all did happen, thats the point. The flash sideways was really a pseudo purgatory where the characters when AFTER they died. Christian also stated that time didn't matter there, , and that some died before Jack, and some long after. So everything did happen. Jack died, Hurley was the new Jacob, probably for a long time with Ben as his #2. The guys who flew off the island presumably got back safe and lived some sort of life before dying (or their plane crashed, I guess it doesn't matter).

My guess is that they were all "waiting" until the last one died, then they could all meet up again and "move on". Probably Hurley or Desmond since they were the ring leaders in rouding everyone up.

That's not what they seemed to say, to me. The whole "time doesn't matter here" or whatever sounded more like it was explaining why Jack's dad was there with them when he'd died earlier in Australia. And if the flash sideways was the only part that was imaginary, that doesn't seem to fit either because it was created by the hydrogen bomb being set off in the past, creating an alternate timeline. Really seems more like they were saying the whole thing was imagined, right from the first plane crash. Especially having Jack die in the same spot where he ended up after the crash.

Though I like your way better though, even if it doesn't seem to fit to me.

Even though Juliet said "it worked" as she was dying, I don't think the hydrogen bomb did create the alternate timeline. If anything, the H bomb was "the incident". They just made it seem like that because they started showing us glimpses of it from episode 1 of season 6. The AR wasn't imagined, its just a purgatory type place. I think Jack dying in the same place he woke up was more of a nod/reminescent back to where the show started.

I guess they left it open ended enough to have these discussions, which in the end is what they wanted. I guess I can never be sure of what I'm saying, but I'd like to think the whole thing wasn't imagined. It kind of trivializes the entire show.

So the ones who died long after didn't age?

Oh well.

I can respect it as far as haphazard creativity, but almost no intelligent thought went into any of it.

It was all "waht would be most random and/or shocking?"

Oh well.

I can respect it as far as haphazard creativity, but almost no intelligent thought went into any of it.

That was explained too...It was a pseudo purgatory type place, so they all were there at the age they knew eachother at. Notice that Aaron even was a baby.

Here's my big beef...let's assume that yes that world was created by the losties to assist in "waking up" and "moving on" like the writers wanted us to:

Why was the "waiting room" island underwater with it's statues and everything?

My personal feeling: The writers/creators/producers started the series with an end goal in mind, namely that last scene, but during the course of their writing they never realized their story took them AWAY from that ending and decided to "F* it" and keep the ending they imagined.

The sideways flash was not reality. It was a waiting room that Jack created based on his experiences in life (on the island). Presumably everyone gets to create their own before moving on or something like that. So basically, it was a life he imagined for himself, where he did not go to the island. Other than supporting that, it was irrelevant whether the island was sunk or not. I think the writers showed it submerged as a red herring to lead the viewers to believe that the sideways flashes were the outcome of the bomb, and later to think it was what happens if Smokey leaves the island.

They also said they were totally changing the ending up until they finished shooting the last episode.

Hmm, remember where? I listened to every one of their podcasts and they were pretty adamant about having the full story arc down prior to the pilot even airing.

Even though Juliet said "it worked" as she was dying, I don't think the hydrogen bomb did create the alternate timeline.

Miles said that Juliet said "It Worked" because she was telling Sawyer that turning off the vending machine worked.

Watch that scene again, she says "It worked" then they touch, then they flash and recognize each other.

Beautiful!

Oh well.

They aged. But after they died and went to the sideways universe, they appeared as they did when they all knew each other. That was the most important time of their lives.

Miles said that Juliet said "It Worked" because she was telling Sawyer that turning off the vending machine worked.

Watch that scene again, she says "It worked" then they touch, then they flash and recognize each other.

Beautiful!

Oooooo....good call!

Hmmm......that is a fairly nerded out good call.

More shi% like that would have been so easy and so much better.

OK so they tried to tie in a little, but that was IT?

Lazy.

They were partying too much to do a good job.

Back