Lost some yeast, how should I proceed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel450

Reaction score
Hi, New here. quick question; doing my first partial mash batch and everything went great until I opened the liquid yeast packet and promptly dropped it. I lost about 1/4 - 1/3 of the packet. I pitched what I had and the wort has started to ferment but its pretty slow and listless. (Batch is a Belgian IPA) Should I add some more yeast? Supply store will be open tomorrow. I would be able to get it in at about the 36 hour mark.

Thanks for any help!

I would say yeah go waste another $8-9 vial, considering you still would have underpitched if you only had the one vial. You should've made a yeast starter 24-48hrs before your brew day. Did you add any yeast nutrient/energizer to the boil? I would suggest a yeast starter though for next time.

Out of curiousity, what was your initial gravity? If it's a low OG, you could just let it ride and let it go for longer. We would need a few more details about the brew itself. Batch size, Gravity, temp, etc.. but you probably would've under pitched even with just the one vial. Not to say it won't ferment out. Is there any activity in the carboy? What temp is it at right now?

No yeast starter, Just following recommendations from the brew supply house. this is my second batch.

5 gallons, Init. Grav. was 1.045 Temp is steady at 68*, There is some activity, though nothing like my first go which was an extract kit tripel which went absolutely crazy in the first 24 hours. I'm getting a few bubbles through the air lock per minute and there is a bit of yeast scum on the surface, very little.

The yeast is a Wyeast "Slap pack" Direct pitch activator 3522 Belg. Ardennes, says its good for 5 gallons. I think it was 4 or 5 bucks.

Update: Pretty good increase in activity in the last couple of hours. Steady bubbling and a nice creamy head forming. I'm still thinking I should add some yeast though.

After 36 hrs the damage should be done. More yay might help, but this batch will have off flavours. Some people like those flavours though. I brew an apa for a friend that I under pitch us-04. He loves the fruity esters from it. I think it's overpowering and unpleasant.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

I'm pretty open to happenstance. I'll throw some more yeast in it tomorrow and see what I get. Its my second batch. Learning experience. I'll set up to do a repeat brew as soon as I move this out of my fermenter and I'll be sure to do it right so I can get a comparison.

Little update. Talked with one of the guys at the brew supply shop and I decided to let it be. Fermentation picked right up and things were pretty active through the week slowing down considerably over the last 24 hours. OG was 1.045 (2-24-14) A hydrometer reading today (3-1-14) shows 1.010. I think I'm going to be okay. Going to try another identical batch for comparison.

It'll be fine, if not a bit more fruity.

Yeah, you are going to have flavours from under pitching, but considering the gravity it should be pretty kind to you as long as you like fruit. Nothing wrong with a flavorful ale, right?

Looking forward to it. I am going to try the same recipe over to see the difference though. I do like big flavour!

Okay so, racked into secondary for a week now. Carboy has been covered with a towel against light. Its bottling day. uncovered the carboy and there are little white spots on the surface of the brew. looks like white mold. I know when fermenting food etc. this isn't the end of the world but I want to be sure its okay. The little white flecks are on the outside of the carboy. its the softer white spots on the surface of the brew. Beer smells fine.

photo-139.jpg

Also, as far as priming sugar goes I've read I can just use cane sugar about 2/3 cup to a 5 gallon batch. Anyone want to weigh in on this?

I'm voting that those white specks are normal yeast rafts- no problem.
And yes, you can use cane sugar instead of corn sugar. The amount needed, I would defer to a priming calculator.

I'm a newbie as well, but from what I've read, cane sugar is a bad idea (or at least not as good). Check other posts to be sure though... A quick google search will lead you the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

A little cane sugar is ok. A lot is BAD

Latest posts

Back