Lost my Turkey Fryer ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimiGibbs

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I didn't lose it but the person I had borrowed it from decided to fry a turkey for Thanksgiving. First time in 3 years ... Anyway, I'm going to buy one and was thinking about the $37 one at Walmart. I know several of you have purchased these so I was wondering how well they work? Do you know what the BTU's are? Any other "low cost" suggestions?
Thanks,
Jimi

you can get one at hd for about $45 it is a very stable stand says 150,000 btu not sure about that but the base is very wide and stable better than alot of the cheaper fryer stands out there. i have seen pics from other members that have them. It is made my Bayou classics and is square with a bigger burner they would be able to comment on the btu's better. There are no lower cost methods that I know of offhand. Propane is cheap and these fryers get alot of water/wort boiling in a very short time.
:ban:

After you read this message, get up, get in your car, drive to Wal*Mart, and buy one. Actually, get two. That's what I did. Wow, they are AWESOME! I even use the pots that came with it as my brew kettles, because they're lighter than my heavy aluminum pot, thus easier to lug around when they're full of wort.

I brewed two batches on Saturday using two of those Wal*Mart fryers, and they rocked. I don't know the BTU's, but I swear I can get my post-mash 5-gallons of wort up to a boil in 5 minutes. It's like a jet engine when you turn it all the way up. And the frame is very sturdy, as it is welded construction. Just a stoopid deal...

Do you need the pot, or just the burner?

I've got the Bayoi Classic Bajor Cooker - 210k BTUs, mofos! - on the way, hopefully it'll be delivered today. $65 at homedepot.com, free shipping. I've heard the jet burners are a lot less energy efficient - Evan, I'm curious how many batches you will get out of one tank.

I'm thinking about picking up one of the $37 fryers anyway, I'll use the burner to heat sparge water and my brother-in-law needs the big pot for HIS foray into this hobby.

The walmart ones are probably around 55,000 BTU's. I have a similar one and it does the job fine, full rolling boil of 5 gallons in a little over 5 minutes.

I was looking at this one, and was not certain I'd buy it or not. Just picked it up at walmart and it had dropped $10 in price. I took it as a sign to go ahead and get it.

for you guys who have one of these, they are the square framed ones, right?

Can someone measure the dimensions of the frame's top? I need to make sure my keggle will sit on it solidly. The round ones won't cut it without having some bars welded to the top, which is not something I want to **** with.

-walker

JeepGuy said:
Just measured mine for ya. They're 12 1/4" x 12 1/4". HTH

Hmmmm.... looking at the specs of one on walmart's website, it says that they are 14"x13.8" on the top. That would be big enough, but I don't know if 12.25" is.

I'll have to go check them out today at lunch time and see if they'll cut the mustard for my keggle.

Thanks, JeepGuy.

-walker

Latest posts

Back