lost my first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Filter

Reaction score
went to transfer from secondary to botteling bucket when i opened it up the smell was of apples and sour/sweet it did not smell like beer and tasted like poop :( still cant get the taste off of my mouth, i not sure what caused it but i dont want it to happen again
trying again tomorrow on a Summer Wheat Ale

Lenny

not realy, but maybe when i transfered to secondary, may not cleaned very good?
maybe i should not open up to check on it in the secondary just let it sit and not screw with it :eek:

Filter said:
not realy, but maybe when i transfered to secondary, may not cleaned very good?
maybe i should not open up to check on it in the secondary just let it sit and not screw with it :eek:

Sanitize..not just clean. Also, yea, if you had a brw that had an infection, try no taking the lid off this time. Better luck my friend.

As they say, the three most important things for making good beer are: sanitation, sanitation and sanitation.

The best beer is made by those who are truly anal about their sanitation.

Let nothing which is not sanitised touch your beer - and be aware that no part of your body can ever be adequately sanitised.

How did you transfer to your secondary? I ask because the flaovr that is typically associated with the apple flavor/smell is Acetaldehyde. It is a natural occurance in a lot of yeasts, but the yeast will create unwelcome amounts if it is oxygenated. Is there any chance that a good amount of splashing occured when you transfered to secondary, or possibly as you were moving the bucket around?

well my secondary is an ale pale i have two of them one for primary and one for a secondary, but i am getting a carboy for a secondary instead, i transfered with the spigot and the hose when i got to the bottom, of the primary it did suck some air :eek:

Filter said:
went to transfer from secondary to botteling bucket when i opened it up the smell was of apples and sour/sweet it did not smell like beer and tasted like poop :( still cant get the taste off of my mouth, i not sure what caused it but i dont want it to happen again
trying again tomorrow on a Summer Wheat Ale

Lenny

Did you MEAN to brew a Rolling Rock Green Light clone?

As long as the hose was touching the bottom of the secondary, and not suspended in the air when transfering, I cant imagine that was the problem. Did you do any kind of stirring or swirling after adding the yeast?

How long was it in the primary before you transferred? Acetaldehyde is a normal precursor to alcohol that all yeast will make. They will typically also clean up after themselves and reduce when they are done. If you transfer to a secondary too soon, often times they won't have time to clean up and will poop out before doing so. Then you can be left with an apple bomb.

it was in the primary for 1 week, then transfered to secondary for 2 weeks, when i transfered i left the cake on the bottom and did not get every drop out, leaving a little in the bottom

when i added the yeast i poured them in and stirred them around, i used the yeast that came with the coopers kit :confused:

i had this problem exactly 1 month ago and posted about it on this site (check it out by clicking on my tag) i had an pale ale that smelled like someone puked up rancid apple juice when i x-ferred to secondary. 2 wks later it was fine. acetaldehyde is a appley smelling chemical that is normal in fermentation and goes away. its a shame you pitched you beer if this was a solvable problem. beer stinks sometimes when its young and wont taste good often right out of the fermenter.

dont give up

Back