Lost my AG virginity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_B_Mongo

Reaction score
Just wanted to thank everybody here for all the info on AG brewing. I've been reading and learning as much as I can.

Last week, I lost my AG virginity. I had planned on waiting till I could brew with somebody who had done it before, but didn't know anyone. Just went ahead and picked a nice easy recipe (Palmer's How to Brew brown ale. Figured it was a tried and true recipe.

Well, I over sparged, broke a thermometer, and many other hiccups. But, I hit my target gravity and had a blast doing it. I can't believe I was so intimidated by all grain brewing. It really wasn't as tough as I had thought.

Also, as I plan on more AG batches in the future, I'd like to buy my grains in bulk. I figure I'd get a 50# bag of 2 row, and just get my speciality grains and yeast from my LHBS. Any other suggestions as to what to keep on hand for some normal strength beers?

Thanks, and looking forward to many more AG batches in the future!

Congratz! i just got done with my 2nd all grain! 1st one ended in disaster...a moment of silence for the vanilla cream ale that never was.... but it was still alot of fun!

Congratulations on losing your AG virginity. I know it may have been uncomfortable and awkward, but honest-engine it gets easier each time you do it. :D:D:D

Whew, too many homebrews. But seriously, way to step up and try something new! :mug:

As to what you should keep around: grain mill (assuming you don't have one) or hops you use often or work on a variety of styles (i.e. cascade, hallertauer, fuggles, etc.) and they get cheap in bulk.

Hope your beer turns out awesome! :rockin:

EDIT: You mentioned breaking a thermometer... nothing from inside got in the beer did it?

EDIT: You mentioned breaking a thermometer... nothing from inside got in the beer did it?

No, I dropped my thermometer into my HLT after I added my sparge water (batch sparging) to see how hot the water was...well, since there wasn't much water in the HLT, the thermometer dropped all the way to the bottom and broke. Not too big of a deal, just one of the speed bumps of the day.

I went into the day with the RDWHAHB mentality. Kept me from stressing too much about efficiency and such. Really enjoyed the process, and really wasn't too much longer of a brew day than extract + specialty grains.

Back