lost instructions-which kit do I have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My neighbor gave me a kit with no instructions! I cannot figure out what this is.
It came with;
6.6 lbs LME golden light
Some caramel malt grains
packet of Willamette hops
packet of cascade hops

Who cares....just brew it. :mug:
Do the small grain bag
LME @ 60
Your pick of one hop at 60 and the other at 20
BOOM...pale ale(ish)

Gather 1.5 gallons of water.Steep the caramel grains in warm water (under 170 F) for 20-30 minutes.

Top up to 5 gallons, bring to a boil. Remove from heat and mix in malt extract. Return to a boil. Add Cascade at the beginning of a 60 minute boil, add Willamette with 15 minutes left in the boil.

Should give you a pleasant Pale Ale

Gather 1.5 gallons of water.Steep the caramel grains in warm water (under 170 F) for 20-30 minutes.

Top up to 5 gallons, bring to a boil. Remove from heat and mix in malt extract. Return to a boil. Add Cascade at the beginning of a 60 minute boil, add Willamette with 15 minutes left in the boil.

Should give you a pleasant Pale Ale

Ya know, depending on how dark the caramel grains and how much is in the kit, this might make an Irish Red, or something along those lines.

Assuming ~1 lb of grains to steep and a 6 gal 60 min full boil yielding 5 gal into the fermenter (after boiloff, trub loss, shrinkage), brewed according to CorporateHippie's schedule, you get a (possible) pale ale around OG 1.047 and 37 IBU. If the grains are on the darker side, you might have an amber or a brown. Either way, it's beer. Go for it.

Edit: ... or a red.

Edit again: the cascade makes me think they might be going for a PA, especially if it goes in late.

wow, thanks for the quick response. Pale Ale? the last one I did was so bitter each sip was a punch in the face. and not a good bitter, trust me, I like IPAs. I don't know what I did wrong either, oh well, here goes another

what could I do if I wanted to make it hoppy like an IPA? put the hops in towards the end of the boil?

what could I do if I wanted to make it hoppy like an IPA? put the hops in towards the end of the boil?

You need some bittering hops at 60 minutes, to balance the sweet malt.

But yes, but most of the hops in at 15 minutes and flame out and dryhop as well.

You probably don't have enough hops for an IPA, but if you buy more you could.

What you have looks like either an American amber or pale ale.

Back