Lost Instructions for BB Kit and Looking for Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spookymilk

Reaction score
Long story short, box and instructions are missing from a Brewer's Best kit and their site doesn't seem to have the instructions for whatever this is.

3.3 lb CBW Rye
3.3 lb CBW Pilsen Light

2 oz. Cascade
1 oz. Citra HBC394
1 oz. Columbus

8 oz. Crushed Honey Malt grains
4 oz. Crushed Munich grains
2 oz. Crushed Vienna grains

Seems like some sort of Bock? I haven't been doing this long enough to be certain. Any help is appreciated.

It's a Rye Pale Ale, but they've apparently used two kits for this and I only get linked to the wrong one.

What type of instructions are you looking for? I would just brew it up like anything else and see what comes of it. I don't really think it can go too wrong. The hop additions can change it up,but you could use this as a good experiment brew...

Brewers Best kit instructions can be found by doing a Web search for the Rye Pale Ale Kit.
I can link to various homebrew sites that have them, but since I have a new PC that's only half-assed configured, the PDF files aren't visible to me.... yet.

http://www.southernhomebrew.com/brberyepaale.html

The two ounces of Cascade are your dry hops. The other two are your bittering and flavor hops. Bittering hops boiled for 40 mins, the flavoring hops for 15 minutes. Hopefully you can decide which of the two other C-hops are for bittering and flavor.

Last edited:
Are there Alpha percents on the hop packs? I'd use the highest Alpha as the bittering hops, typically Brewers Best hits 55 or 60 minutes for the bittering set, then 15 minutes for flavoring. As Lefou said the Cascade is likely a dry hop. All the grains should be steeped below 170 degrees for about 20 minutes. Brewers Best has a pretty standard process. As for the extract, the instructions usually say either add it all up front, but given that you have Pilsen in there I'd add the Rye for the whole boil and the Pilsen with 15 minutes left in the boil.

Edit.
Found a link on brewer's friend with more detail.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/141280/brewer-s-best-rye-pale-ale

They indicate that the Rye is late addition. But you should be able to use this as a brewsheet

Last edited:
Bingo.
Problem solved .... I typically use Brewers Friend simply for the recipe builder and water calculators. Never bother with the recipe section because there are some far-out concoctions saved with the good ones. :)

Back