Lost in the world of brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adnic69

Reaction score
Ladies and Gents

I am new to brewing and although I have made one and am brewing my second brew out of a can I get the feeling that this is a way of producing beer, but not the best tasting as its mass produced. I have been looking on the following site http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/index.htm and am tempted to purchase some of the bits to make beer from scratch. After that I am lost, I am unsure what to buy. What do the malted grains do?

I guess the best thing is to say what I fancy and you give me a recipie. I would like either a porter or a raspberry beer.

Thanks in advance.

If you are at this stage of the game where you are unsure what malted grain does, I would continue with your "canned" stuff. Going all grain ("a.g.") is a bit more complex. Your canned malt extract, although mass produced, should be fine quality and fresh if you are getting it from a reputable source. Keep reading as much as you can. Including this forum.

loop

Do a search for John Palmer's book "How To Brew". The first version is free on-line. Just google a search for it...there are link's to it on this forum also.

It's good to know that you know your limitations and you are researching your problems.:D

Also, go here and do some reading, they have a very good library explaining everything from Extract Brewing to All Grain brewing. You'll learn quite a bit. Here's the link:

http://www.brewery.org

I'm a beginner myself, but I will tell you this: Extract Brewing is a lot easier then All Grain. First starting out, you might want to stick to the Extract brewing first, less frustration, and you can make some really great Ale's and beers. It's a great place to start learning and making your own recipies. The other pro about it, its that if you mess up, you will not have spent quite as much time and effort as you will with All Grain.
I want to get to All grain myself, and am doing a lot of reading on it. So far: I have a LOT to learn still! Mean while, while I'm learning, I've got 3 batches brewing, and one I'm enjoying!

Palmer's URL is www.howtobrew.com It is extremely well structured. The first section is for someone who purchased a kit & can't make sense of the instructions. He then goes into greater detail.

Malted grains provide the sugars for the yeast to turn into alcohol. You malt grain by letting it sprout & then dry it.

This http://www.art-of-brewing.co.uk/acatalog/intro.html site's beginner's equipment pack looks like a better approach for equipment.

I picked up a copy of Dave MIller's Homebrewing Guide at a used book store. It seems to be a pretty thorough treatment of brewing. Has anyone else read this book?

He closes his introduction in the book by saying "May your mash never set, and may the dark shadow of pediococci never fall across your fermenters. May your ales be robust and your lagers smooth, and may you enjoy all the rewards this pursuit can bring to mind and spirit. Cheers!"

I liked that part.

Back