Lost in Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talkingmonkey

Reaction score
I can't ever seem to get a full fermentation. My current brew is a double IPA w/ 6.5# DME and 4# LME. I did a 24hr starter, brewed w/ 6G spring water, used WL East Coast yeast, and did a 1/2 lb. brown sugar addition at 3 days, (thanks Lagunitas!) It has been 12 days and I am only at 1.04, (No idea on OG, too many HB's, I forgot). Blow off is going at about 18 seconds/burp.

Should I just ride this out or re-pitch w/ a wine yeast?:confused:

with what you have offered for ingredients you are looking at a O.G. some where around

1.075 it should ferment down to around 1.020 or less with around 7.25% abv

I would let it ride for a while longer.

what temp is it at ?

-Jason

Make sure your ambient temp is upper 60's (minimum).

After initial fermentation, I like to get that temp up to around 70 to let the final fermentation do its thing.

Give a beer at least three weeks in the primary.

Wow. I double checked temps after reading your responses. Stick on Therm. says 62-63, but my thermometer lying next to the carboy reads 69??? Thanks for all the help guys.

Only at 1.03 SG. I went ahead and transferred to secondary. Any ideas on how I can get it down to around 1.02? I also dry hopped and added oak chips, if that matters.

Back