lost grain bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbsj

Reaction score
So I gave my swmbo the bag of grain after my last brewing to give to the chickens. Unfortunately, she threw away the grain bag that I used for brewing. I've used that thing since day 1 of my limited brewing career. I ordered a new kit and went to brew and found that the bag was gone. Would it affect the flavor to soak my grains without the bag and then use a fine wire strainer to separate the grains from the wort before the boil before the boil?

I would think that would be better since the grain won't be as tightly packed like it would if it was in a grain bag.

Yea! Don't know how many uses you can get out of those (after 1 boil with one it has some holes at the top where it got stretched too much) but they are cheap enough!

is this an extract with steeping grain batch? if so, i would steep in a small amount of water (1 gal or less) and then transfer by pouring through the strainer into your pot. that way you won't risk any loose grains in your boil.

pretty much the same goes for partial mash, too.

Back