Lost Coast Brewery Winterbraun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bh10

Reaction score
I had one of these the other day and was seriously impressed, impressed enough I want to brew one, does anybody have an recipe for it? According to their website they state "A full bodied brown ale w/ a rich chocolate taste created from roasted chocolate and caramel malts. Topped with Czech Saaz hops to give it a spicy flavor and aroma."

Honestly I wouldnt know were to begin, anybody have a clue?

Haven't tried it, but here is a crack at the recipe. Without really detailed info from the brewery the best I can do is get you in the neighborhood, once you brew it you'll be able to tweak the recipe to get closer to the original.

It is 6.5% ABV, so the OG will be around 1.065.

Odds are that most of the grist is pale malt (it is for most brown ales). Then ~.5 lbs of chocolate malt which will give you a nice brown color without making the beer too roasty and porter/stout like. Finally .5 lbs of medium crystal malt (for caramel sweetness) and .5 lbs of dark crystal (reviews mention burnt sugar and berries).

Just adjust the pale malt to hit the gravity based on your efficiency (or use pale extract if that is how you brew).

Hop with enough Saaz (or whatever variety you want) near the start of the 90 min boil to get to ~25 IBUS. Toss in ~.5 oz of Saaz near the end of the boil for a bit of spicy aroma.

I'd ferment with a clean American ale yeast (WLP001, WY1056, or US-05), although pretty much any clean ale strain would make a fine beer.

Did anybody give this a go? I had a winterbraun this weekend and it was a truly tasty brew. Like a mini barley wine. I wouldn't mind cloning it too...

Haven't tried it, but here is a crack at the recipe. Without really detailed info from the brewery the best I can do is get you in the neighborhood, once you brew it you'll be able to tweak the recipe to get closer to the original.

It is 6.5% ABV, so the OG will be around 1.065.

Odds are that most of the grist is pale malt (it is for most brown ales). Then ~.5 lbs of chocolate malt which will give you a nice brown color without making the beer too roasty and porter/stout like. Finally .5 lbs of medium crystal malt (for caramel sweetness) and .5 lbs of dark crystal (reviews mention burnt sugar and berries).

Just adjust the pale malt to hit the gravity based on your efficiency (or use pale extract if that is how you brew).

Hop with enough Saaz (or whatever variety you want) near the start of the 90 min boil to get to ~25 IBUS. Toss in ~.5 oz of Saaz near the end of the boil for a bit of spicy aroma.

I'd ferment with a clean American ale yeast (WLP001, WY1056, or US-05), although pretty much any clean ale strain would make a fine beer.

Good tips on the build. Have been to their taproom 10x and their tour 4x, it turns out that APOLLO and WILLAMETTE hops are used in this beer and primarily most of their other portfolio, except for the newer, super-IPA beers.

GREAT tips on the build, I think you're spot on. Have been to their taproom 10x and their tour 4x, typically APOLLO and WILLAMETTE hops are used in most of their beers, except for the newer, super-IPA beers. This may be the only one that uses SaaZ, allowing for the malt to come through. My fave Lost coast beer by far.

Latest posts

Back