Lost a tank of gas....leaky top on my corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

oysterhead

Reaction score
Just last month I bought reconditioned kegs from Midwest...one of them leaks from the top. I tried to hit it with like 40 psi to seal, but once at serving pressure, I could sometimes hear a leak.

I tried keg lube on the flange rubber, etc. Still leaks.

Is it a lost cause? Or can I fix it somehow?

I don't want to lose another tank of gas.

BeerSmith

Reaction score
You can purchase new O-rings for the top if the old one looks bad.

Sometimes, all it takes is properly seating the top. Try a few different positions, and test for leaks by using some soapy water to make sure its not bubbling out somewhere.

Finally if the top is really bend or damaged, you might be able to swap it with another.

Cheers!
Brad

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
Is it a bad pressure relief valve? I had to replace one once on a leaky keg.

Jamo99

Reaction score
I had a bad o-ring on the inside of the keg on the dip tube that i head to replace cause it was leaking.

MikeInCtown

Reaction score
Check the top with a soapy water solution to see exactly where it is leaking. As said, new lid o-ring could help and some keg lube is sure to do the trick. In addition, make sure the pressure relief valve is not the problem. Some of then can be taken apart and the gasket can be flipped to a brand new sealing surface. If not, a smear of keg lube can seal those as well.

Last, smear some of that soapy water around the base of each of the gas and liquid fittings. While the ball lock fittings will seal around the o-rings eliminating any poppet leaks, they can leak at the base depending one how tight you made them or how old the gasket is.

Reaction score
Jamo99 said:
It's just food grade mineral oil. You might find it at your grocery store.
You can often find it near the laxatives. If it's intended for human consumption to loosen up the o-rings in the body, it's safe to use on the o-rings in your keg.

Did you try flipping the lid around? Sometimes they seal better when installed in a particular orientation.

bgw

Reaction score
FWIW, I routinely double up on the big O rings for my used conies.