Loss of hop aroma before bottling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkhorse01253

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first proper post so I hope it is in the correct area. Please have it moved it if is better suited somewhere else.

I recently brewed an imperial IPA (1 gallon) which tasted great when I tried a little before bottling, during the check of the gravity after 2 weeks fermentation. However after bottling (3 weeks bottle conditioning with 39.6 g table sugar) it felt like there was a significant drop in hop aroma and taste. There was also an artificial sweetness which was almost caramel like which pervaded and seemed to greatly mask the hoppy taste which I was really going for in this beer.

Some specs:
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.016

Hop schedule [hop type, weight (g), time (mins)]
Motueka 8.51 (60)
Motueka 14.18 (30)
Nelson Sauvin 7.09 (10)
Nelson Sauvin 7.09 (5)
Motueka 28.37 (1)
Nelson Sauvin 14.18 (1)

Yeast: Safale US-04

I thought I might have oxygenated too much when I was bottling so the time after I did the same recipe and really focused on not letting bubbles in my siphon and yet the same thing happened. I thought about dry hopping but what I don't understand is why it tasted so great to me before bottling and then lost the taste afterwards.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Common. Did you pour it in a glass and let it warm up slightly or drink it out of the bottle?

Can we have the grain bill, please?

An IPA, whatever it is, should be dry hopped for better aroma. The flavour would be better would late additions in the past 20 minutes and a medium-heavy whirlpool at lower temperature something like 65-70C ( 150F ).

Common. Did you pour it in a glass and let it warm up slightly or drink it out of the bottle?

Well that's good to know. I mean I have read a lot stating that preserving the hop flavour is a challenge even to the pros, but I still want to work on it. I poured it into a glass but ill admit it was quite cold, maybe a bit colder than it should have been served at.

Can we have the grain bill, please?

Golden Promise pale malt 1.75lbs
Marris otter pale malt 1.75lbs
Caramel malt 0.25lbs

Hey guys, this is my first proper post so I hope it is in the correct area. Please have it moved it if is better suited somewhere else.

I recently brewed an imperial IPA (1 gallon) which tasted great when I tried a little before bottling, during the check of the gravity after 2 weeks fermentation. However after bottling (3 weeks bottle conditioning with 39.6 g table sugar) it felt like there was a significant drop in hop aroma and taste. There was also an artificial sweetness which was almost caramel like which pervaded and seemed to greatly mask the hoppy taste which I was really going for in this beer.

Some specs:
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.016

Hop schedule [hop type, weight (g), time (mins)]
Motueka 8.51 (60)
Motueka 14.18 (30)
Nelson Sauvin 7.09 (10)
Nelson Sauvin 7.09 (5)
Motueka 28.37 (1)
Nelson Sauvin 14.18 (1)

Yeast: Safale US-04

I thought I might have oxygenated too much when I was bottling so the time after I did the same recipe and really focused on not letting bubbles in my siphon and yet the same thing happened. I thought about dry hopping but what I don't understand is why it tasted so great to me before bottling and then lost the taste afterwards.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

It does sound like oxidization. Did the beer get any darker too? Three weeks in "hot" temps is a lot for a hoppy beer. Specially IIPA, the more hops, the more can get ruined. Cara-malts also doesn't age too well if they get to much oxygen.

It does sound like oxidization. Did the beer get any darker too? Three weeks in "hot" temps is a lot for a hoppy beer. Specially IIPA, the more hops, the more can get ruined. Cara-malts also doesn't age too well if they get to much oxygen.
It may have gotten a bit darker yes, but I can not remember now it always looks so different in the grav measuring tube vs the glass haha.

So how do I know how much time to bottle condition these beers (and other beers of different styles, what do you guys use to calculate)? I guess how I have had them is quite warm. Its currently winter here in the UK and I have central heating on with temperature of around 23°C. I usually just keep the beers in a bag somewhere in the house but maybe I should pay attention to keeping them a bit cooler?

What you want is quick carbonation. That doesn't leave the beer sitting warm for more time than what is good for it. Meaning you'd like active yeast, and not cold crashing the beer before bottling. Cold beer absorbs oxygen faster, and the yeast is not active at cold temperatures, that mix is pretty bad for a bottle carbed hoppy beer.

Back