Lord Rahl's Golden Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlaineC

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
While transferring some of my recipes to brewfather I thought I'd share this one with y'all. This barleywine was one of my very first made to be entered into the county fair back in 2014. This was a 2 staged fermentation process then moving to another carboy for long-term root cellar aging for one year at 45-55 degrees with the addition of oak chips to the aging carboy. The yeast had to be stepped up at least twice during fermentation.

Lord Rahl's Golden Barley-wine

12.0% / 32 °P
Recipe by
Charlaine Cadence Nordin
All Grain

72% efficiency
Batch Volume: 6.08 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
Mash Water: 11.05 gal
Total Water: 11.05 gal
Boil Volume: 7.79 gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.111

Vitals​

Original Gravity: 1.139
Final Gravity: 1.048
IBU (Tinseth): 55
BU/GU: 0.39
Color: 12.5 SRM

Mash​

Temperature — 160 °F90 min

Malts (31 lb)

20 lb (58.3%) — Rahr Pale Malt, 2-Row — Grain — 1.9 °L
4 lb (11.7%) — Simpsons Golden Naked Oats — Grain — 7.3 °L
4 lb (11.7%) — Thomas Fawcett Pale Malt, Golden Promise — Grain — 2.8 °L
3 lb (8.7%) — Briess Caramel Malt 20L — Grain — 20 °L

Other (3 lb 5 oz)

2 lb (5.8%) — Briess Rice Hulls — Adjunct — 0 °L
1 lb 5 oz (3.8%) — Honey — Sugar — 1.3 °L

Hops (6.5 oz)

4 oz (52 IBU) — Cascade 7% — Boil — 90 min
2.5 oz
(3 IBU) — Challenger 7.5% — Aroma — 10 min hopstand

Hopstand at 176 °F

Miscs​

2 tsp — Gypsum (CaSO4) — Mash
2 tsp
— Yeast Nutrients — Boil15 min
1 cup
— American Oak Cubes, Medium Toast — Secondary

Yeast​

4 pkg — Lallemand (LalBrew) London English-Style ESB 72%

Fermentation​

Primary — 68 °F7 days
secondary — 55 °F30 days
Aging — 55 °F300 days

It was the name that caught my attention and I always do love a nice BW. I'm guessing an English style. 2 lbs of rice hulls? That seems to be a lot, as those things are light. I have 50 lbs of Golden Promise, I think I would use it for all of the malt with maybe a little crystal for good measure. Thanks for the recipe. Winter is coming. LOL Mixed the references for fun. :mug:

It was the name that caught my attention and I always do love a nice BW. I'm guessing an English style. 2 lbs of rice hulls? That seems to be a lot, as those things are light. I have 50 lbs of Golden Promise, I think I would use it for all of the malt with maybe a little crystal for good measure. Thanks for the recipe. Winter is coming. LOL Mixed the references for fun. :mug:
The name is based on one of my favorite novels and what I took from the description of the taste of one of a drink from the series.

Yes it's a British style. The rice hulls are common in most of my AG recipes because I've used them as a filter for years. Place half in a muslin bag and press up to the input of the brew pot's drain valve. The other half is for the mash to help with drainage there.

To answer your question I have to look at the attached notes as it's been a while since I brewed this. 2016 was the last brew date on record with a grain bill of $65.00. The last time I brewed It I found it to have a decent mild sweetness that blended well into the maltiness of the brew with a decent alcohol taste you expect from a wine. According to my notes, this took a while to ferment fully. I also have in the notes that I was thinking of swapping out the honey for backstrap and adding slightly stronger hops for the bittering. might try switching it up the cascades got galena hops but unsure if that's going to be too bitter.

After researching a different yeast I think I will be using 1 or two packs of fermentis ha-18. Brewfather says it will drop the fg to 1.014 before aging. Which is around what want. with an apv of 16.5

Today one week ago I brewed an English Barley Wine
OG 1.106 (measured manually), today's SG 1.011 (measured by an iSpindel)
Recipe:
1701432109216.png

Fermentation in a 15L (3 Gallons) Stainless steel fermentation tun:
1701432351202.png

Fermentation process:

1701431967784.png

Later today I will manually measure SG as the iSpindel is allways a few points off, SG may be up to 5-10 points off. So I think it wil be more in the range of 1.016-1.021.

Also I want to drain the yeast that is already at the bottom of the conical so I can start my secondary without having to transfer to another tun/bucket and switch the blowoff to a waterlock.

Now with other less complex beers I am used to bottle the beer after 3 to 5 days of fermenting and a week or so in secondary.
I am planning to bottle this beer after secondary of a week, so next friday, add a carbonation drop in the bottle and let it age in the bottle. I will not add extra yeast to the bottle.

Question: What are your thoughts/opinions about this?

Last edited:
Today one week ago I brewed an English Barley Wine
OG 1.106 (measured manually), today's SG 1.011 (measured by an iSpindel)
Recipe:
View attachment 835301
Fermentation in a 15L (3 Gallons) Stainless steel fermentation tun:
View attachment 835302
Fermentation process:

View attachment 835300
Later today I will manually measure SG as the iSpindel is allways a few points off, SG may be up to 5-10 points off. So I think it wil be more in the range of 1.016-1.021.

Also I want to drain the yeast that is already at the bottom of the conical so I can start my secondary without having to transfer to another tun/bucket and switch the blowoff to a waterlock.

Now with other less complex beers I am used to bottle the beer after 3 to 5 days of fermenting and a week or so in secondary.
I am planning to bottle this beer after secondary of a week, so next friday, add a carbonation drop in the bottle and let it age in the bottle. I will not add extra yeast to the bottle.

Question: What are your thoughts/opinions about this?
I always double or triple-ferment mine with the third being the aging stage in the cask before I bottle.
7-10 days main. 30 secondary, then I'll move to an oak cask for 6 months to a year in a cool place. Then bottle but that's just what I like to do myself. I like the bill you posted. I might have to try this one come January or so when I can start to rebuild the brewhouse.

Back