Loosen stuck fittings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseL

Reaction score
I need to get the bottom one out of the top one. WD-40 hasn't worked so far. Any suggestions?
IMG_1573.jpg

More WD40. Try putting jam nuts on both fittings for leverage. Stick one side in a vice, a wrench on the other side. Add some heat if that doesn't work, although freezing may be better, brass contracting more than SS, IIRC. Again, use plenty of WD-40.

Thanks! More WD40 (a LOT more) and patience was the key. I sprayed it again (and again and again) and left it overnight. Tried again this morning, and it the fittings separated with a little elbow grease.

Yea, dissimilar metal is the culprit. Get a stainless nipple next time.

Is that right? Good to know. I will definitely replace this with a stainless steel coupler. Thanks!

Just be aware that stainless on stainless can and will gall if you don't use the right teflon tape or pipe dope. If that happens, you can forget about ever getting them apart again.

Back